Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
An Unorthodox Jam Session; Closed Bonnie
Topic Started: Jul 27 2018, 12:14 PM (116 Views)
SbesPlz
Member Avatar

It had been 2 days since Urrin had arrived at Senki. In the meantime, and since there was the option, he'd decided to start playing an instrument. The recorder in this case, which he was holding as he had been taught.

The instrument was simple enough to start with, you always had to made sure that the hole on the bottom was covered while playing. As for the rest, he was unsurprisingly, struggling to actually play something coherent, instead letting out random noises go from the instrument.

He headed to the music room with recorder on hand and kept playing all the while. There could have been someone playing, and if they were there, he could ask them about the recorder.
Edited by SbesPlz, Jul 28 2018, 04:17 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
The strained chords of an electric guitar and a singing came from the music room. Even with the door closed, it was not hard to hear the lyrics coming out of the singer's mouth.

"Bill Barilko disappeared that summer
He was on a fishing trip

The last goal he ever scored
Won the Leafs the Cup

They didn't win another till nineteen sixty two
The year he was discovered"

Lucas hadn't won over many people to play music with him or listen. It wasn't that he was bad, far from it, but being someone who had his own tastes which tended to be more old-school, it left him at odds with most of the rest of the school who liked more mainstream or regional stuff.

"I stole this from a hockey card
I keeped tucked up under"

So it didn't bother him to have some time alone to jam out. It was a lax environment against the backdrop of school life, and it gave him an hour or two to let himself loose and put himself to work.

However, he was considerate enough to not turn the volume on the speakers up to their max, instead keeping them at a level quiet enough to let the sound of his music only go as far as the next couple of rooms, which were presently unoccupied. So he wasn't disturbing anybody.

But that meant that he wouldn't hear the ditty of the recorder as it began to approach.

SbesPlz
Member Avatar

It didn't take long for Urrin to arrive in the music room. He kept up playing the recorder until its sound was drowned out by the sound of an electric guitar, which prevented Urrin himself from properly hearing what his recorder was producing. The penguin boy looked at the person playing it.

It was another boy with a friendly look about himself. He seemed deep in thought as he worked his instrument and sang all the while. The notes kept coming on and on, completely cleanly, making their way elsewhere with confidence.

Urrin sat in the floor in front of the guitarist. He was mesmerized by the sound, as well as the effectiveness of his fellow student's movement. His movements weren't oubtful or hesitant, it was clear that the other boy had practiced for long hours day in and day out to be able to reach the level at which he currently was.

The short penguin could respect that. He respected people with talent, but more than anything, he held a lot of respect for those who were willing to put in the countless hours required to perfect a skill. He sat in front of the musician and kept his eyes firmly on the guitar. Not a single sound was heard from Urrin while this happened.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"It's my fifty mission cap
It's his fifty mission cap
And I worked it in
I worked it in
And I worked it in to look like that
And I worked it in to look like that"

Lucas let the last chord hang in the air for a moment as he realised that someone had entered the room and was listening and watching him. He put his hand on the strings to stop them from making any more noise as the sound dissipated, and it was quiet again.

"Don't expect that you've ever heard that before," he began. "Few if any round here have ever heard of the Tragically Hip. Can't blame 'em, but they're missing out." He set down the instrument and turned the speakers off so that they wouldn't make any static or other unexpected noises.

"I don't think I've met you before, actually," he noted. "My gut tells me you're new here? Lucas Strachan. It's a pleasure." He held out a warm hand, inviting the boy opposite to shake it.

SbesPlz
Member Avatar

Throughout the song, Urrin just sat there, staring, looking blankly much as a doll would. Despite this, he swayed back and forth, following the rhythm of the old school rock song. He knew not whether the other boy was good or bad, but the passion was inviting.

"I haven't heard much people music...yes"

Said Urrin flatly.

"I liked what you played."

He continued, closing his eyes for a fraction of a second to properly process the song that he'd just heard. Reasonably energetic and with a nostalgic tinge about it, the kind of thing that is made more special by how it shares itself with others.

The penguin boy looked at his recorder, wondering for a second what he should do about it. It seemed odd to him to keep playing it right then and there. Instead, he reciprocated the handshake with an unpracticed and rough, albeit firm handshake.

"Yes, yes I'm new here. It's nice to meet you Lucas, I am Urrin, Urrin Bluke"

Finished Urrin, stating his name. A name pronounced in a manner that would be awfully unfamiliar to anyone, not relly pertaining to any known languages. At best, the last name may have sounded remotely close to French, but even that would be a stretch.[/b][/b]
Edited by SbesPlz, Aug 1 2018, 12:21 PM.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"Oh, thank you," said Lucas. The boy seemed rather...blank? He didn't want to say timid, just more...unfeeling. Like he was from a hivemind of sorts and had only just broken away from it.

He let him shake his hand nonetheless. It was firmer and rougher than he had expected, but he took it. "So, Urrin," he began, "is that a recorder you got there? I haven't seen one of these since primary school. It's bringing back a lot of memories for me." Playing recorder was a big part of his introduction to music in those days, though he got over it quickly to start playing guitar in the hopes of emulating his rock musician idols.

"What sort of music are you into?" he asked somewhat awkwardly, unsure of what to say next. Hell of an icebreaker, but probably better than nothing.

SbesPlz
Member Avatar

Urrin thought for a second. He really wanted to convey what penguin music was like to Lucas. Bands like "Fish in slices" were really well known among young penguins due to their large number of vocalists and the strong slithering sounds from the "plate", the quintessential penguin instrument.

The penguin was unable to find a proper way to convey this without cutting the conversation short into a completely different one. Feeling as if that would be impolite, he decided instead to explain where he stood regarding human music.

"I haven't heard much music that people would hear."

Explained Urrin with a hint of doubt in his voice as to whether he was saying something abnormal. After he responded to the comment about the recorder.

"And this, I wanted to learn to play music, but I didn't know any of the instruments and people told me to start with this."

That was a fairly straightforward, true, and functional explanation in contrast to what he'd been saying before. It would serve well enough to show that he was not a musician or familiar with music in general.

"But you look like you have a lot of practice with your instrument, you were doing really well, I liked it."

Said Urrin with the most vague tinge of excitement tinting his voice.
Edited by SbesPlz, Aug 4 2018, 07:26 AM.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Lucas nodded as he listened to Urrin, but he seemed to catch some of the hints that he was giving off. I suppose the school keeps surprising. he thought to himself. Wonder what sort of animal form he has.

"Well, I'll be happy to help you through learning," he offered. "I might not have played a recorder for a while, but it's still pretty fresh for me, so I can help when you can." It was about time that he probably owed up to someone to help them out, and what better way to help than with music.

After all, who played hockey here?

"And if you want to learn guitar too, I'll be happy to help you out."

So, perhaps it'd be a good idea first to see how Urrin could do on the instrument he had now. "How much do you know about playing?" he asked. "I'd just like a bit of an idea for how much you know so that we can work through the steps."

SbesPlz
Member Avatar

The boy fiddled with the recorder, gently drumming it with his fingers. He nodded to himself. Once he had thought of a satisfying conclusion, he directed himself at Lucas.

"I know nothing about playing except that I always have to cover the bottom hole and then one or many of the top holes."

It was about as clear an explanation as he could give with his current knowledge. Regardless, he had an honesty policy that he was gonna stick to as far as he could. And he didn't really see anything wrong with not knowing anything about playing music.

"I only started today since they said it was an easy instrument for beginners really."

Urrin could see why since it did not really require much to start up and produce some sound. It didn't have many holes or complicated finger positions like those he saw Lucas execute in his guitar. It was good to start and he'd probably learn something simple a few days in.

Edited by SbesPlz, Aug 7 2018, 10:36 AM.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"Well, you're not wrong," said Lucas. At least Urrin seemed to have some sense of how playing a recorder worked, so he had a decent foundation. "It's really easy to learn, but part of it will involve getting familiar with concepts of music. Still, playing your first few notes is always fun, so why don't we do that first."

"Hmm, let me see if I can pull up a fingering chart," offered Lucas. He pulled out his phone and fiddled with it, before pulling up a fingering chart for the recorder.

He showed the image to Urrin. "So take a look at each of the tunes, or notes, The circles correspond with the holes on the recorder, with the black filled ones showing the ones that you should cover with your fingers, while the white un-filled circles show which you should leave uncovered so that you can play that note." He pointed. "Here, start by trying to play a B. Thumb on the hole facing you, left pointer on the top hole facing away."

SbesPlz
Member Avatar

The fingering chart that the other boy had brought up was well itemized into the distinctive positions for a proper sound. Urrin took a good look at it, and then listened to Lucas' instructions on how to play the simplest note.

He pressed on the bottom hole, something which he had been doing well enough so far. Afterwards, he pressed his index on the top hole facing front as expected, and immediately after he tried to emit a sound.

The instrument made a noise. The noise it made had something about it that the penguin boy couldn't quite place, something distinctively wrong. He did not have much experience with the recorder, or listening to it, but the somewhat airy sound that came out did not seem to fit what a music instrument should sound like.

After placing his index closer to the center, he tried again. The sound was somewhat better, not exactly what he was expecting just yet, but definitely an improvement compared to his previous attempt. He stared at the instrument deeply and tilted his head to once side, pronouncing a simple

"Hmm"

As he did.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Student Building · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.