Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
[SKA] Last Practice Before Grading
Topic Started: Jul 2 2018, 09:49 AM (94 Views)
bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
The members of the kendo club had grown and developed well since they had first joined, but none of them had yet put their skills to the test by proving their skill through grading. That would end soon, as in a few days' time they would have their first grading.

There was a palpable air of nervousness and anxiety, which both Ayane and Edie - in their role as the senpai whom the other members looked to for help - acknowledged. Being an experienced martial arts practitioner in her own right, Edie knew of the challenges that grading entailed, mental as well as physical. Both subsequently arranged to have additional practice in advance of the grading, to assuage the most junior members' concerns and give them an opportunity to iron out their weaknesses.

It wasn't like Edie didn't have to worry about her own grading for 4 kyu, nor was she in as good a position to take charge as some of her other peers. But she had spent much time practicing, and had gotten very comfortable with the routine. After all, it wasn't much different from the 5 kyu grading aside from some additional components. So she was willing to take time and help the others out - it was probably the best she could do to help her friends. As a bonus to further encourage them, she promised a surprise to all of them, but that would have to come later.

Bowing in was routine, and soon, they were underway. The plan was to run through the requirements for 5 kyu once, then separate to work on components that people were struggling on. Edie joined them, making sure she could be seen so that the others would have a reference for how to move and strike. Once done, she went up to see who needed help. This would be the best chance for her kouhai to get what help they needed or wanted.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

A creature followed Edie, carrying the shinai on a strap to their back. That leaf mark... There was no mistake: this fox was Chairo. Ever since he caught a brief whiff of her scent earlier this day, he was reminded of the practice he promised in partaking into. Chairo didn't bother hiding, after all he wasn't going to prank Edie or anything.

Following the traditions they had been following for weeks and months, he entered the Dojo behind Edie, before saying "Mornin' Edie!", was it even morning anymore? He didn't care, really. Popping up into his human form, he was wearing a red shirt with a M on a white circle, white shorts with brown leaf prints and black flip flops.

But something was off... Maybe it's his eyes that were still slit pupils, or his fluffy ears sticking up, or the very distracting tail behind him. How come he didn't notice those himself?!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chizu
Member Avatar
Knight Radiant
It was no secret that Yukina could always use more training.

Several months studying kendo and swordsmanship--and using that swordsmanship in entirely too many battles to be comfortable with--had certainly taught her more about how to use her sword. But rather than feel comfortable with that, rather than feel proud of all she had accomplished, Yukina just felt restless, uncertain. The more she learned, the more it became clear how little she actually knew, the more she started to see how much farther she had to go.

It seemed like an insurmountable distance, especially for someone like her.

But she was the president of the kendo club. She couldn't give up, even when she felt like it was hopeless. Which meant that she had to practice. She had to keep on practicing, because even though she didn't like it, she was the face of the kendo club, and if she didn't, she would be letting the entire club down.

So when Edie brought up the idea of training for their next grading, Yukina had readily agreed to sign up. She arrived for practice dressed in her uniform, her long black hair tied behind her head in a ponytail, and followed through with the exercises that everyone went to.

When they broke off to work on their own technique, Yukina settled in to practice her strikes, stepping forward and back again the way they had practiced. It was frustrating. On some days, it felt like she might almost be getting it, but today wasn't one of those days. Her movements felt sluggish, disjointed, her hands didn't at all feel connected to her feet, and try as she might, she couldn't get everything to connect.

She pressed her lips tightly together against her own frustration, trying to push forward through it, but working harder was only making things more erratic. At least, that was how it felt to her...

Corruption
Member Avatar

James entered, and seemed relaxed
Then again, he always had a few ideas of how to use situations, even if he did not bother usig them.

Not only was he training, but since Yukina had joined Day Breakers, James was interested in her sword affecting her. The less she relied on it's influence, the better off she was.

Also, other members of the association may be recruited for things latter

Going near Yukina, but out of sword reach, he cleared his throat.

"Yukina, you seem tense. That's no good. It's stressing you out, messing up your strikes, which seems to make you more stressed. I'm no expert, but I can see something is stopping you from being at ease with your shinai."

He thought for a bit, and from what he knew, but that which she did not know that he knew, it was probably thinking about her demonic sword.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
While Edie was tolerating of Chairo's unkemptness, there was a certain degree of concern for whether he'd be able to deal with the strictness of the grading. The All Japan Kendo Federation was not known for being forgiving for those who took a grading casually. She'd help pull him together if he needed it, but for now though, she was willing to look it aside.

She led the group in the rundown of the grading, having herself and the other senpai take point to let the kouhai practice their strikes. Though she expected them to generally know the routine of the grading, she helped them, and if they needed guidance was willing to give it. And the whole time, she paid attention to each of the problems and issues they had, ready to help them address them later.

It wasn't long before they were done, and it was time to get the more focused part of practice underway. Immediately, she headed to Yukina. Her classmate and good friend looked to be the most under stress, and it looked that she was in clear need of assistance.

"Are you OK, Yukina-san?" she asked gently. "You don't seem to be in the best state." Edie was worried for her. She seemed to be in a poor state and wasn't striking straight. "One thing at a time," she advised. "Breathe, and do one strike slowly at a time. Start with a men strike if you can. Don't overthink it, just do it based on your muscle memory and ability."

Chizu
Member Avatar
Knight Radiant
Yukina slowed to a stop when she realized she had gathered a crowd, both Edie and James coming to see if she was alright. Her face burned, and she felt embarrassed at herself, but she stood up straight anyway, bringing her shinai back to her side.

"I--," she began, looking at the ground. She couldn't keep looking at the ground like this. These were her friends, her teammates. She couldn't live her life forever looking at the ground. She drew in a breath and forced herself to look up, straight at them. "I-I'm alright. I think I'm just letting my nerves get to me." She let out a nervous laugh, hoping that she sounded normal, and not like a weirdo trying to act like a high-school girl. "You know how it is..."

In truth, Yukina had been nervous about this grading. It felt like her last exam had been easy by comparison. She hadn't cared so much about passing then. Now, she was more at ease with herself and her sword, and it surprised her how much she actually wanted to do well. Ironically, it felt like wanting to do better was only making her do worse.

At Edie's instructions, Yukina nodded, hesitantly bringing her sword back up to chudan and stepping forward into stance. She breathed deep, trying to clear her mind of all of her thoughts, trying not to think so badly about passing, or about doing well. Trying to just act from muscle memory, like Edie had showed her.

She raised her sword and stepped forward with a cry, trying for a men strike.

Objectively, if one were honestly evaluating her, they might notice that there was a lot to improve in that strike. But Yukina's focus was certainly better, lending it a power that her previous strikes hadn't had. It was progress, at least.

Corruption
Member Avatar

James nodded after the strike.
"You were simply overthinking it. Here is a trick I learned to stop nerves: I remind myself that it is pointless to worry too much. As long as you take your training serious, and do your best, then you will get your best results. Even if I fail, I will have done my best, and will learn. No-one is perfect.
"Just relax and let go, allowing the training to take over. Just think about what you want done, and let your body do it for you."

If she was this tense and stressed now, imagine during the test! She needed to relax, or stress would defeat her.
James knew that with her demon sword, if she remained dependent on it, and suffered a strong blow to her mental self imagine the demon could more easily take over. He needed her in charge, and skilled. The less influence it has on her, the better!

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

"Hm... Usually when I'm nervous I try meditating to the sound of water, rain, or wind. ... Speaking of why has no one told me I was still half foxed?", oh, Chairo has realized it. He took quite too long to notice his inhuman features showing, but was quick to correct once he did, his tail slinking back under his shirt, ears flattening into bangs, the slit pupils reverting to round ones in a blink.

To be sure Yukina was alright, he awaited until she couldn't notice, and tried to see if a spirit or something has been plaguing his classmate's life. Didn't hurt to have an extra precaution, but with a glowing pair of eyes he had to be extra cautious as to not draw much attention.

"Well, needing something, just lemme know. James, how about you and me then, a little spar? No powers, fair game this time!", a fox playing fair? That's fun, but true in his case, as he would bow to James before assuming the chudan.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Dojo · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.