Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Matías Gutiérrez
Topic Started: Feb 10 2018, 11:56 AM (175 Views)
Caupolican

Name: Matías Gutiérrez

Height: 5'6''
Weight: 130 pounds
Appearance: He's of Castizo race (3/4 white, 1/4 native american), average height and of rigid posture, with blackish-brown messy hair he often scratches, and plain brown eyes with some darker undertones.

He wears an olive green colored light coat over a white shirt and, if cold, a thin sweater of dark blue color. He usually wears dark blue denim pants and procures to always have lots of pockets in his clothing. He has a pair of black boots he uses in classes, a pair of sneakers and a pair of slightly broken sandals he uses often outside of class.

Year: 1
Class: B
Club:

Residency: Bara dormitory

Personality:
Generally stoic to unknown people and outright cold when talking to groups, but warms up quickly when talked to personally. He is quite cheerful when spoken to personally and often acts too formal or too informal to people. Doesn't like speaking about himself or being the center of attention, and often avoids speaking if he doesn't deem it necessary.

Intelligent and analytic, but too shy to collect data efficiently. Acts overly formal with people he doesn't know and sometimes overly familiar with friends. Is overall curious and fixated on trying to understand magic, and tries to experiment during his free time. Likes cataloguing everything he learns and understanding anything he comes across. Slightly paranoid and distrusting about people, doesn't factor feelings when he acts and doesn't expect it to be done for him either. Gets very frustrated when misunderstood. Checks his mail very frequently.

Has a strong dislike for people whose main connection to magic stems from their clan and for people that blatantly do things wrongly despite knowing it. Strictly follows laws but isn't above breaking them and facing consecuences should he have sufficient reason.

Likes learning in general, specially languages. Speaks english, Spanish, Russian and Japanese, though with a heavy accent and is currently learning Mandarin (and often frustrated about not getting the tones right)

History:
He was born in Chile the 5th of April of 2002, in the city of Chiguayante, he was mainly raised by his grandparents since his parents both worked. He grew up with few friends and most social contact coming from his grandparents and uncles, which made him mature earlier than most people.

He first started learning about magic by finding an old book on ferromancy while cleaning his grandfather's room after his death, which wound up making him want to understand the mechanics behind his powers. He is really attached to his family and to the few people he comes to trust.

He traveled around his country with his parents to find somebody who could teach him about magic, and the only one they could find within their time window was an old wizard in Chiloé. He learned basic necromancy and use of poisons from him, but unfortunately couldn't further his ferromancy skills.

Finally got sent towards Senki academy after not being able to find anyone on this area of expertise in Chile, after a crash course on Japanese. He's still at large unfamiliar with the country and doesn't move around too much.

Powers and Abilities:
Ferromacy: A mainly undeveloped ability to shape and create metals, currently can only create iron in small quantities and often ends up rusting metal he shapes, though he can rust metal on purpose quite efficiently and coat his body in iron for extremely light armor if he doesn't mind being sore for some time.
He can only create up to 5kg of iron, and rust things only if he is in contact with them and they're relatively pure iron. (Can't rust stainless steel or galvanized metals, and it'd take him from 5 to 10 minutes to rust 5kg of iron)
Necromancy: Due to his lack of affinity, this branch of magic is at a basic level, he can only manipulate blood in an imprecise way if it's been spilled between an hour and a day and reanimate small animals. This works by stimulating the animal's nervous system with magic and enhancing cell growth, but this also has the side effect of making the animals decay faster.
Poison: Not magic, but a knowledge of how to brew and use poisons efficiently, mostly useless due to his unfamiliarity with Japan and its resources, but can be fixed by studying long enough.

Equipment:
-Smartphone
-Book on ferromancy
-a corvo knife
-a classic guitar

Edited by Caupolican, Feb 13 2018, 10:45 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fin
Member Avatar
B-Rank in H
New characters can have a max of three powers. This one has four. Pick three, omit one, then we can get into more detailed reviews.

Caupolican

Sorry, i'll be omitting the weather one then.

Fin
Member Avatar
B-Rank in H
Alright then. Now let's break things up.

All of Matias' powers are honestly a bit juxtaposed with each other. Which is not a problem in itself, but it does make it harder for him to keep all of them at once for approval.

-The ability to create iron from nothing. Definite 'small quantities'. The ability to form the element out of nothing by itself is already pretty strong.
-Manipulating said iron and possibly other iron/other metal around him. Implied to be able to manipulate enough with dexterity to coat his entire body with iron, without seemingly impeding his movements.
-Accelerate iron oxidation, which is a pretty strong ability by itself too.
-Manipulating blood with iron, which is very strong. There are only around 4 grams of blood in the body of an average male. To put it in perspective, that's like trying to move 99.99% percent of a mass by tugging on the .01%. Like trying to move a whole bed by pulling on a single strand of string hanging from the bedsheet on the mattress.
-Reanimating small animals, I guess it's fine. Assuming small like rats or pigeons. It would be nice to have an explanation how his necromancy ability works, be it by magic or something and the rules that go along with it.
-Useless by lack of knowledge can be remedied with a quick visit to the library or an Internet search. Please do explain more on what this poison ability does, as it currently means nothing.
-Weather power is still there, but I'll review it anyway. The ability to control the weather is, by scale, far more powerful than simple ferromancy. The 'cloud' I'm imagining mentioned here is, I hope, just the size of... little steam puffs from boiling water in a kettle. But if it's actually those clouds up in the sky then it definitely won't be approved along with the other powers.

Caupolican

I apologize for not being specific enough.

-Manipulating blood is only possible on a small scale and not beyond moving it around and only in a couple meters' radius, not the typical "making it solid" that is usually seen and this is aided by his basic knowledge of necromancy

-By small quantities i mean about 5kg.

-He can reanimate small animals for a limited time using magic, but can't sense through them or control them beyond "go in this direction" and yes, i did mean for it to be pigeons and similar.

-His poison ability is not "magic" per se, but rather knowledge of how to brew it and use it effectively, and beyond the knowledge he still would need to make up new formulas and find a way to test them.

-he can only oxidate iron he is a meter or less from, and it often happens accidentally when he creates it.

-weather isn't there anymore.

Will these changes/specifications be fine?

Fin
Member Avatar
B-Rank in H
It's less about the amount of blood he should be able to control and more... with the actually really low concentration of iron in the human body compared to their mass, he shouldn't be able to control blood by way of ferromancy at all, unless his iron manipulation ability is strong. Simply because the mass of other things in blood is just so much more, iron presence is negligible.

Now, if he can control blood purely by necromancy however, that's a different thing entirely and more plausible.

5kg of iron... I guess it's alright.

I guess that's good enough practical mechanic for necromancy. I was hoping more for some history/background/encyclopedic explanation on how his necromancy magic works, but that's just fluff stuff.

Add that poison skill explanation.

I'd add he at least needs to touch the iron to get it to rust, and it takes time and doesn't happen instantly. Otherwise looks good.

Caupolican

I'll fix it right away.

Fin
Member Avatar
B-Rank in H
Hrm.

Still not too sure about rusting. Try giving an approximate time it would take to rust, say... the surface of a 5kg cast iron dumbbell weight.

I'd be more annoying and ask for specific concentration of iron required in a given mass for him to be able to rust it, but we'll gloss over that and just say... 'anything that would normally be considered resistant to corrosion wouldn't be affected', good?

For necromancy, I'd probably state more specifically on what kind of blood he can control, like 'only spilled blood or his own'. Nothing inside other people's body at least.

The rest is good.

Caupolican

I'd say that it would take 5-10 minutes for it to rust, is this acceptable?
As for the concentration probably >95% Iron as long as the 5% isn't resistant to corrosion (So basically nearly pure iron and extremely low carbon steel)
And since it's necromancy, only blood that's been spilled between an hour and a day ago, so there's a decent quantity of dead cells to manipulate but it's not quite decomposed yet.

Fin
Member Avatar
B-Rank in H
Caupolican
Feb 10 2018, 11:56 AM

Powers and Abilities:
Ferromacy: A mainly undeveloped ability to shape and create metals, currently can only create iron in small quantities and often ends up rusting metal he shapes, though he can rust metal on purpose quite efficiently and coat his body in iron for extremely light armor if he doesn't mind being sore for some time.
He can only create up to 5kg of iron, and rust things only if he is in contact with them and they're relatively pure iron. (Can't rust stainless steel or galvanized metals, and it'd take him from 5 to 10 minutes to rust 5kg of iron)
Necromancy: Due to his lack of affinity, this branch of magic is at a basic level, he can only manipulate blood in an imprecise way if it's been spilled between an hour and a day and reanimate small animals. This works by stimulating the animal's nervous system with magic and enhancing cell growth, but this also has the side effect of making the animals decay faster.
Poison: Not magic, but a knowledge of how to brew and use poisons efficiently, mostly useless due to his unfamiliarity with Japan and its resources, but can be fixed by studying long enough.

Equipment:
-Smartphone
-Book on ferromancy
-a corvo knife
-a classic guitar

And another one has been approved

- To New Members -
Thank you making a character on Senki Academy. Now that your character has been accepted, you are free to join topics and make topics of your own in the role play area.

Before you do start role playing, the staff recommend that you take a look at the following links:

List of Topics Active in the Last 24 Hours
http://senkiac.com/search/?c=5

Yuri and Bara Dormitories' Room Directory
http://senkiac.com/topic/8295387/1/

Plato Room Directory
http://senkiac.com/topic/8440955/1/

In-Depth Guides of Places and NPCs
http://senkiac.com/topic/8293584/1/

Roleplay Request Thread
http://senkiac.com/topic/8301009/1/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · First Year Students · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.