Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Ever Grand, Ever Green; The grand opening of Shinwagahara Sanctuary - all may attend!
Topic Started: Oct 1 2017, 02:29 PM (749 Views)
bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
The big day had come at last. It had taken weeks of work and toil to not only fully set the facility up, but also set up a ceremony with all the pomp and circumstance that this would entail.

And at last, it was all complete. Shinwagahara Sanctuary would finally be open.

Tatsuya Takada stood proudly by the podium at which he would be giving the speech. He stood beaming at the crowd, dressed modestly in a sweater and jeans, but definitely more polished than he normally looked as the disheveled, put-upon farmer and zoologist who had to deal with all sorts of pressing matters. He looked relaxed and anticipatory, with a childlike gleam of optimism in his eye. Even the sheaf of paper that he held in his hand for his speech couldn't undo that.

Next to him was somebody who looked far too polished and dressed up for what was to be a relatively casual location. Edie was dressed in full English riding show attire for the occasion as she stood next to the man who she considered her mentor and one of her closest friends to the point of almost being an elder brother. As part of the opening, the riding facilities were going to be making a demonstration of their capabilities, and to do so, Edie was going to be doing a set of showjumping, cross-country and dressage demonstrations. She was more than ready to do this, and was happy to do it. Though her riding skills had gotten a little rusty in the interim, she had full confidence in herself and her mount to execute everything pretty well, if not flawlessly.

The crowd was quite sizable. There were quite a number of students from both Senki Academy and Kaneshima High School, as there were lots of locals who were there to explore a new place for the weekend. With that turnout, both were very happy that this was bearing fruit. They hadn't marketed the farm aggressively, and yet they had gotten media and popular attention around the place. Given all of that, this was the best they could hope for. A sizable attendance to prove that this was a viable enterprise, yet not too much that they'd be swamped and the matter would get out of hand. Nothing more, nothing less. And some recognisable faces too.

Tatsuya checked his watch. He was right on schedule as he moved up to the podium, straightening his speech as he prepared to make his remarks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

Soosei was behind the podium, cradling a cute white wolf pup in his arms. Tekigo and him were playing around before the media and the crowd arrived, but the wolf pup eventually "felt" tired and wanted to take a nap. It has been an hour now, and Soo' didn't know if he should be on the Podium with them, he had never been in this situation.

So, they stayed back there, awaiting for the case they were to be called up, the fox guy a little nervous, but the wolf pup sleeping like a baby, no matter what. He had no script, no planned speech, it would be improvisation, or so he believed.

The number of scents reaching his nostrils frightened him further, making him pale like this wolf pup that was with him. Maybe he needed some help to calm down..
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
As he took up the podium, Tatsuya gave a glance to Soosei and Tekigo. The week since the spirit had arrived on the farm had seen him settle in quite well, and integrate with the environment very well. Not only that, Soosei had also shown up and taken up something of a unique parent figure role in helping him out, which he and Edie had found not just adorable but unquestionably heartwarming too.

He made it a point to talk to them later. All he needed now was to give his speech. He had no microphone, but at least his voice would definitely be able to project. With the nature of the people all around, and the orderliness of the crowd, that was the best he could ask for.

He began to speak. "Everybody gathered here today," he began, "I wish to welcome you to this event this morning - the grand opening of Shinwagahara Sanctuary. I am proud and honoured that all of you here today would be the ones to take time out of this wonderful weekend to come here and see what we have here today." He paused to glance at the others. Behind them, Edie beamed at him and gave a gloved thumbs-up. He smiled back comfortably and turned back to continue his speech.

"My name is Tatsuya Takada. I am not a native of the island. I was born in Kamakura, and did not set foot here until a couple months ago. But I grew up around animals and a deep appreciation for them, and continued this through my life and education. Another appreciation I had, though, was for mythical creatures. I was inspired by the many tales and stories behind their creation, their magnificence, their power, and what they represent in the popular conception of our natural world. But until I learned of this place, I thought it would all be a pipe dream to work with them. I was wrong. Kaneshima and Kanekojima are home to a great multitude of the great mysterious species that we all thought had gone extinct or never knew existed.

So I came here to learn more. I wanted to work with animals, but here gives me the unique opportunity to fulfill those two dreams and visions which I hadn't imagined would happen. And by doing so, I want to allow you to do the same. Shinwagahara Sanctuary is a new facility, meant to bridge the division between the urbane living of most of the people here and the natural world that I feel we've lost touch and appreciation for. There is a uniqueness to Kaneshima that can't be found anywhere else in the world, and I want to make the most of it, not just for the overseas researcher or the Senki Academy student, but for you too. And that you can find that the dreams you had as a child, or the fantasies you had reading mythologies and legends, can come true as well."

Maou
Member Avatar
POMF =3
Among the crowd of people were representatives of a certain company, or rather, the owners of said certain company. Though it may be a bit odd seeing them at a grand opening of something not tech related, Valentine's curiosity was the main reason for them being there. Plus, it was always nice to represent the company by making an appearance at grand openings too.

Alongside Valentine was Elizabeth, easily towering over the five foot tall girl. Then again, Liz was taller than the average Japanese person, standing at an even six feet tall. The two were conversing with one another about the event just before Tatsuya began speaking, turning their attention to him once he started.

Once he finished speaking, Vale began clapping with Elizabeth doing the same right after. Naturally people around her began clapping as well, creating more and more applause for the grandiose speech; or at least Valentine thought so.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

Soosei gave a reassuring nod to Tatsuya before he stepped up the podium, and took a deep breath to try and relax. "Stage fright?", the puppy in his arms spoke in a low tone. Nodding his head in response, Soosei whispered in addition: "It's more that I haven't been on stage in a long time."

As the speech began, Tekigo set his eyes towards Tatsuya, and so did Soosei. They both listened, while the wolf pup was visibly calm, the fox man was clearly nervous, specially if he got called up there to speak too. He didn't know what to do, nor to say.

Once the ovation has begun, Soosei sighed in relief, color returning to his face, as he felt he wouldn't be called to speak.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Tatsuya had no intention to let anybody else speak unless they had said they wanted to. Finishing his remarks, and glancing at the others in the crowd, he smiled and waved as they applauded for him. He wanted to keep his remarks short and sweet, and it seemed that he had accomplished that.

He made sure to indicate to the others as he continued to give some more words, giving more anecdotes, remarks and acknowledgements as he went along, and he soon found himself becoming very relaxed, as if he was speaking one-on-one to a friend. He stopped wondering how he would look with the benefit of hindsight and a camera recording him.

Finally wrapping up, he made sure to bring someone up special for them. "Now, I want to bring up someone very special and dear to my heart. Edie Masuda Sheridan is one of my closest and oldest friends from when she was just a youngster, and we have shared many experiences around animals together. As the youthful representative and face of what I hope will be a bustling and fruitful enterprise, I would like to ask her to come up and share a few words with you. Please give a hand for her. Edie, if you'd please." he said as he indicated up to the stage and invited her as he walked off.

Edie walked up smartly. Unlike Tatsuya, she had rehearsed and memorised key points that she would weave into a proper speech as she spoke. That being said, her stomach had a knot in it as she was a little worried internally about saying something wrong or going off what she had intended with it. But seeing a few familiar faces from around the school, and with her brother from another family backing her up, did much to loosen her and make her feel much more comfortable.

Meanwhile, Tatsuya stepped up next to the foxes. "Did that go well?" he asked Soosei.

Chizu
Member Avatar
Knight Radiant
A small fairy flitted to and fro above the heads of the crowd, her voice a musical giggle as she rode the air currents and played in the air. Rei kept an eye on her to make sure that she wasn't getting into any trouble, clapping along with the others as Tatsuya finished his speech. As a part-timer, Rei had doubted that he would be called out to speak, so he had settled for going out into the crowd, introducing himself to the people that had come and making sure that they were having a good time.

Still, he found himself smiling at Tatsuya's words. They resonated with him in a way, reminding him of how he had spent so much time in the library as a child, reading about the magical creatures, not just of Japan, but of all the lands beyond. He offered Sylph a fond smile as she flew just overhead, the gust of wind from her passing ruffling his hair, then looked around to see if there was anyone that hadn't been attended to.

His eyes landed on two women, one rather tall, the other about his age. As Edie prepared to go on stage, Rei walked over to Valentine and Elizabeth. He offered them a small, polite smile. "Hello," he said, in the lull before Edie began her performance. "Thank you for coming. I'm Rei Yasukage, a part-timer at the sanctuary. Are you enjoying yourselves so far?"

Maou
Member Avatar
POMF =3
Valentine and Elizabeth joined in on another round of applause once another speech finished, the former filled with admiration due to their mission as employees of Shinwagahara Sanctuary. Their clapping would soon come to a halt, diminishing alongside the crowd.

Valentine's attention was soon taken by Elizabeth tapping on her shoulder, motioning in the direction of Rei who was approaching the them.

"Hello!"

"Hello,"

The two said, almost in unison but their tones were a bit different, Valentine's being a bit excited whereas Liz's was slightly monotone.

"Oh, no need to thank us; it was our pleasure! We're just glad to see new developments on Kaneshima and this one peeked my interest."

Elizabeth gave a silent nod with a soft smile, knowing it was definitely Vale that requested they go to the grand opening of the sanctuary. This was probably the first of many appearances she'd be making, granted the original Valentine rarely showed up to grand openings.

"Yes, we are. Thanks for asking. I'm quite excited to learn more about the various mythological species in particular."

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

"Now, I want to bring up someone very special-"

At that moment Soosei silenced, trying to regain composure in case he were called up. However soon, to his relief, the one who was called up was Edie, and Tatsuya came down to talk to them. "Y-Yes, it went well. Don't mind me cold sweating, it is just-", Soosei began speaking, only for the wolf pup in his arms to interrupt:

"Soosei seems to have some stage fright. Nothing to worry, apparently. As for you, Tatsuya-san, you did really well, those sounded like a sincere round of applause.", Tekigo turned his head to look at Tatsuya, without getting off the comfort of the fox man's arms.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Tatsuya caught Rei's eye for a moment as the summoner sallied forth into the crowd. He had absolutely no objection to him going in and mingling, especially since he really wanted to emphasise the youth-oriented organisation of the farm and sanctuary, and what better way to do that than to have the student workers go intermingle with their peers for a bit?

He looked back to Soosei and Tekigo. "You think so? Thanks," he said, glad that he had taken it that well. "I wasn't going to call on you anyway," he said to Soosei. "You didn't ask if you wanted to, and I wasn't about to put you on a pedestal totally off guard."

Onstage, Edie put on a bright smile as she began to speak. "Well, I guess Tatsuya told you my name, but I guess I have to repeat it anyway," she said with a chuckle. "My name is Edie Masuda Sheridan. I am a first-year student at Senki Academy. I am a close friend of Tatsuya through our many interactions as friends forged through historical connections and a mutual appreciation for animals. Like him, I am from Kamakura and have a fairly good history with animals. Unlike him, that history only extends in so far as a small few, especially dogs, cats, and, if you haven't guessed yet, horses. Also unlike him, I'm completely unqualified to talk about anything else otherwise. I am still a high school student and haven't figured my life out yet." She took the moment to let the audience laugh a little at her own expense as she looked to Tatsuya with a wry expression, to which he responded with a shrug of faux apathy.

She turned back to the audience. "So I will take the time to talk a little about what I do know, and I wish to start with an ancient proverb. 'A horse is a horse and a man is a man and neither can be the other, and each can survive but is much better in the company of one another.' Is that really valid, you might ask? Since it is the name of this site to relate to myth and legend, I think I will. Some of you will have heard of how Bucephalus was tamed by Alexander the Great by making the horse look away from its shadow. Others will doubtless know of the Sengoku period samurai Maeda Toshimasu, whose wild personality was so compatible with that of his mount, Matsukaze, that with his passing did the powerful steed of legendary ability disappear never to be seen again."

"This is where we get a bit sappy, so please bear with me. I do not profess to hold myself to the same standard as figures of history like them. However, as a student of history, I couldn't help but relate those stories to a very personal one. I started horse riding from a young age, on personal choice. My parents were rigid and had a sense of authority over what I and my siblings could do in our lives, but they were more than happy to accommodate me in that regard. Gradually, it became an integral part of my life, and before I knew it I had been going at it for three, then five, then ten years."

"At that time though, I never owned a horse. It's a common misconception that many equestrians have to own their own steed and rent out board for them - it's not uncommon at all, but it does happen less than people think. But I digress. I rode out of the farm run by the Takada family, where for hundreds of years they have bred some of the finest mounts in the country for all matter of purposes. Though many would be sold off, many more would stay and grow old on the hills of the Miura Peninsula. Regardless of what happened, I grew attached to them. Many would come and go, but I'd remember them no matter what."

"And then one day, something happened that probably should never had. One of my favourite mounts on the farm was a twenty-something old chestnut named Hyosuke."
She steadied herself for what was to come next. "He lived up to his name - he was a dutiful, steady mount who was always a pleasure to be around. Then, one day, almost five years ago, he suddenly collapsed as I was finished a lesson. I've had my share of falls in the past, but this was something else. As I recovered...he didn't. And we could tell something was wrong. As it were, he had suddenly given out - something just suddenly stopped, and then, that was it. He passed away, right in front of me." She took a moment to let that sink in for herself and the others, before proceeding. "I was distraught. I couldn't face anybody for the next few days. I felt like a part of me was responsible for all that happened as a result."

Stifling a choke, she proceeded. "And then something happened next. I had been in a melancholy for a couple of days when, suddenly, I found something that I'd never expected to see." She looked to the stables, fully remembering that moment from many moons ago. "I was approached by a beautiful foal. She was beautiful, but was wild, and I'd never been around her presence given how much she resisted training - quite a feat given her youth. But in this moment, she was quiet, considerate, and slowly approaching like I did to the horses in the stables. She nuzzled me, as if telling me it would be fine."

"A gesture like that was something I didn't take lightly, and in an instant I was picked right up. I found comfort being around her since then, as she always tried to spend time around me for the weeks, months and then years after. I grew into a teenager. She grew into a proper yearling, then a filly. Soon she had been trained, but was continually restive unless I was around her. Though that created trouble for the farm and Tatsuya to almost no end, eventually we got her to cooperate, something which he entirely credits me with, for some reason."
She raised her hands as if to say "who, me?", drawing a few laughs. "But in any case, she was eventually sold. When I found out, I was upset. I thought this to be an even darker time in my life. Only thing was, Tatsuya, being the cheeky baka he is, totally for some weird, unspecified, uncoincidental reason, neglected to tell me who the buyer was." She paused for more dramatic effect, before leaning in and saying in a low, only slightly melodramatic voice, "It was my father."

"When I found out, I wanted to grab a crop and whack Tatsuya in the butt with it, that was how much of a roller coaster that experience had been. But in any case, the new mature mare fell into my possession. Seeing her again, it was the first time I came to ride her, and she has been mine since."

"Though it's very rare if ever that these sorts of stories happen, I wanted to share my own personal anecdote to show the potential that nature offers to share with us, as it changes us and our ways of thinking of it. I'm sure that that experience will never be replicated here. But I wish that for you, just like I found a life-changing experience with Valiant, you too can as well. We won't all be competitive equestrians or world-renowned zoologists, but regardless, enjoy your time here, please know that this is a special, unique place where miracles and once-in-a-lifetime experiences can change all of us. Thank you for your time, and I hope that you enjoy your day here."

Chizu
Member Avatar
Knight Radiant
"Is that so?" Rei asked, turning towards Vale. "I happen to work with the mythological creatures. I can't promise I'll be able to answer all of your questions, because I'm still learning quite a bit myself, but if you do have questions about them, I can at least direct you to someone who would know the answers."

Having grown up in an exorcist family, Rei knew more than most about the supernatural creatures that were native to Japan, but he still found that he didn't know as much as he would like about their foreign counterparts. Still, he was always happy to chat about mythical creatures, particularly when the conversation didn't involve exorcising them or getting rid of them.

Still, when Edie started her speech, Rei fell silent, turning his attention towards the stage. He listened intently as she described how she had started riding and ultimately ended up with Valiant, taking note of the way her voice broke a little when she talked about Hyosuke. Despite that, by the end of her speech, he was smiling a little, clapping along with the rest of the crowd. He was impressed that Edie had been chosen to speak, but not surprised--after all, she was probably more integral to the farm than any of the rest of them were. And he would remember that story. He always liked hearing more about the lives of his friends, the lives they had led before he met them.

When she was finished, he turned back towards Valentine and Elizabeth. "Edie-san works with the horses and helps with the riding classes," he said. "I've been thinking about learning sometime."

Maou
Member Avatar
POMF =3
"Oh, alright. Thank you!"

Valentine said in response to Rei informing her that he could answer questions for her, adding that he could direct her to someone else if she had other questions he couldn't answer.

Once Edie began her speech, Vale and Elizabeth turned towards the podium, watching her speak in length. Hearing the story about Edie and the horse she previously trained with had died, leaving Valentine a bit somber. Elizabeth on the other hand wasn't showing any reaction as she listened intently to her story.

After Edie finished with her story, Vale looked back to Rei who mentioned Edie works with the horses and also assists in classes for riding.

"It sounds interesting, to say the least. I can imagine it now, riding into the sunset just like in those cowboy movies."

"Please do not get too far ahead of yourself."

"Come on, you know it's just a thought."

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

Soosei gave a low, nervous laugh, before agreeing: "It would be too awkward: I had nothing prepared, I'd probably stutter or pass out.". Tekigo didn't seem any nervous and, casually jumping off Soo's arms, he landed on all four and turned into the boy that Tatsuya has seen before, and perhaps others did as well.

His arms behind his head, the wolf boy giggled. "It's okay to be nervous, just don't let it get the best out of you. Also, I've seen that you live far from people, so that must be also what makes it so difficult for you to speak to the public.", his tail swished left and right.

With a sigh, the fox man reached out and ruffled the wolf boy's hair, a small smirk and colors returning to his face.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
There was nothing more to say on Edie's part. She had said what she wanted and that was that. She stepped off the stage with a last wave and smile to the audience. This had been the first time she had told so many people, but she felt that there wasn't a better place to do it here and now.

Tatsuya greeted her on the way down as he too patted Tekigo's head. "That was good, but what was that? Calling me an idiot like that?" he said in a mockingly scolding tone. He then laughed and patted her on the back. "Seriously though, you really did yourself good up there. I'm very proud of you, m'lady."

Now Edie laughed, and as she did she curtsied to him. "As are we of you, my lord," she said, defaulting to the royal 'we' in that moment. And with that they both embraced, and in that moment all the worries and fears of what was to come were completely forgotten by them.

"Anyway, I suppose we have a ribbon to cut," Tatsuya said as he made his way to the tape and picking up the ceremonial scissors. "I'd like all the employees and volunteers present for this, so Edie, could you please go fetch Rei for the moment?" She responded quickly, running into the crowd where she had spotted him, while he gestured Soosei and Tekigo to come over.

Chizu
Member Avatar
Knight Radiant
Rei smiled at Valentine's assessment. Surprisingly enough, he knew just what movies she was talking about. "Unfortunately, it isn't quite like that," he said. "But there's always room for improvement."

He spotted Edie moving through the crowd towards him and guessed that it must have been time for the ribbon cutting. He turned towards Vale and Elizabeth. "Sorry," he said, "But it looks like I have to go. I'll be happy to talk to the two of you later."

With another polite bow towards them, Rei turned, making his way carefully to the crowd towards where Edie was moving towards him. "Is it time to cut the ribbon?" he asked.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

Tekigo was really overjoyed with Tatsuya's patting his head, his ears twitching adorably as he smirked. "Edie-san likes Tatsuya lots, I bet!", though he stated the obvious, that is just what he felt like saying... Correct or wrong. "We're all close in a way, with Shinwagahara Sanctuary uniting us. But say, Tekigo... You grew too close to Tatsuya.", the fox man spoke up, but before Tekigo answered...

It was time to cut the ribbon. "Ah, right, let's go, I'll explain on the way.", the wolf boy answered and the two followed Tatsuya. Eyes set on Tatsuya, Tekigo began explaining to Soosei: "He was nice to me, and offered me a place to stay, and told me who to trust... So, For me, Tatsuya is kind of a fatherly image, if not a big brother."

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Tatsuya considerately let Tekigo explain his situation to Soosei before he spoke to answer his exclamation. "We were really close with each other for a long time. Our families were rather close with each other mutually, but I taught her how to work the animals, she got close with the horses, and it really went up from there. Also, there's a bit of interesting history that my family's lineage used to be that of retainers for her samurai ancestors, so it's interesting how fate and history and all of that end up working out. Who am I to talk about a subject like that when she's infinitely more qualified than me though."

In the meantime Edie had found her way to Rei and took him by the hand. "Yes, it is. But I see you're making quite a number of good friends." And she winked at him cheekily before leading him back to the front. As she did, she found it prudent to ask him a burning question. "So how was my speech? Did you like it? Did the people in the audience like it?"

Seeing the pair return, Tatsuya picked up the scissors. They were of the large ceremonial variety used for events like this, to be held by numerous people at once. It would suit what they would need, even if it would be a bit cramped to fit all of them in. "So then," he said as he looked up to address all of the others, "are all of you ready to be part of a beautiful moment?"

Chizu
Member Avatar
Knight Radiant
Rei smiled as Edie took him by the hand, letting her lead him through the crowd. "I didn't have the chance to get their names," he said, looking back regretfully at the Elizabeth and Vale. "But they seemed to be enjoying it here. I hope that they return."

They seemed particularly interested in the mythical creatures aspect of the farm. Rei supposed that he would have to put more time into his studies, so that he could answer questions for them if they did return. His eyes tracked upward, to the sky overhead, where Sylph continued to flit over the heads of the crowd, riding the currents of wind. She giggled when she saw him, pulling up short to wink at him and blow a kiss his way.

Rei shook his head at her behavior, looking back at Edie. "Your speech was very touching, Edie-san," he said, truthfully. "I could tell how much you love Valiant, and the Sanctuary. The people I saw looked like they enjoyed it as well."

He stopped as they approached Tatsuya, who was holding up the scissors. Rei inclined his head in greeting towards Soosei, and felt a pang of regret that Felicie wasn't here for this. To Tatsuya, he nodded, pulling his hand out of Edie's so that he could help hold the scissors.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

"Eh, I'm jealous a bit... I don't have any story of my kind I can remember of, except what you know already.", the way Tekigo spoke of that didn't show jealousy, perhaps because of his cheerful nature. Soosei chuckled however and replied "A blank book is waiting to be written, just make your story as entertaining as you wish to be. As for me, I never dreamed so much. Being the child of two normal foxes, a red one from Kaneshima and an Arctic one from the west, my desires were simple. Until I envied how humans had it easy when it came to "hunting" food. That is when I became this.", the fox man explained.

And once they were united to cut the ribbon, Soosei took a deep breath and gave a nod. He was still a bit pale, but nothing that was worrisome. Tekigo on other hand was so excited his tail swished repeatedly, without spilling a drop of ink, thankfully.

Maou
Member Avatar
POMF =3
Valentine chuckled when told that riding horses wasn't exactly like what she saw in the movies, especially since movies were mostly exaggerations of life; some more than others and others the opposite.

"Bye bye!"

Valentine said, waving her hand goodbye after Rei bid them farewell for the time being. Liz remained silent, giving Rei a small head bow in acknowledgement.

The two remained during the event, watching from where they originally were, applauding at the appropriate times and conversing with others around them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Suburban District · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.