Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
"No home for the likes of me..."; Semi-Closed: Ask first or be a staff.
Topic Started: Sep 16 2017, 06:52 AM (505 Views)
GrimRPer
Member Avatar

((OOC: Welcome, Legacy! :D ))

Again I wander
"Where to?" I ask to myself
To where winds leads me.

Words have been written on the air next to the torii earlier that morning, the explanation for how that was possible and how physics have been broken that bad remained unclear. At least no harm has been done, it was a bit weird for whoever cleaned it, to "rub out" the floating words with a cloth. But little known to them, the one responsible for it was there, wandering among the trees and bushes, receiving head pats from a passerby or another.

A little white wolf pup, one with strange markings and quite friendly indeed. A cute bark and a wagging tail, and people were already entranced by their adorable nature. As the sun sets, as the activity in the shrine diminishes, the wolf awaited, underneath the torii, for the wind to blow away...

The Silence.

Silence has come here, as night sets in. The puppy, gone, but where to? A child with inhuman features was at the offertory box, trying to open it. The pouch of coins at his waist was silent and limp, the ink bottles around his neck were mostly full except for one, and in the shadows of the night, lights of the lanterns, he was trying to take what was not rightfully his, to sate an earthly desire he need not...
Edited by GrimRPer, Sep 18 2017, 07:49 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
"You should be careful or people will mistake you for a villain." came a cold, metallic voice. Knocks Qidem stood not far away, observing silently as her bronze skin flickered eerily, bathed in the silvery bands of moonlight enveloping the darkened shrine.

What was she doing here? Not important. Someone like her who didn't really exist didn't need an excuse to be anywhere, it was a miracle she was anywhere at all.

"Once people label you like that, it can become impossible to come back." Her voice, edged with an apparent lack of concern, held a sense of experience in them. She was clearly speaking about herself. "Not that I care what happens to you." Her eyes shifted from the dog-like child to the shrine. Would anyone be awake at this hour to catch on to him, anyway? It seemed unlikely. Not a bad setup, even if it was just for pretty cash.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

He trembled from toes to the tip of his ears, thinking he has been caught. But no, that wasn't someone from the shrine... Was it? Hopefully not. With a sigh of relief, the poor wolf kid continued to try stealing from the box. "I don't care what they say about me, I'm more scared of being caught by the Chief Priest!", he spoke in a hushed tone, "It needs keys... I wonder, can I pick this up?".

Trying to lift, he realized it wasn't as light as he believed. "Can't do...", the wolf boy whined low and tried to reach into the box with the back end of his brush, but obviously that would fail, specially because he didn't have two sticks to try and pinch off the box, and likely it had more means to prevent theft even if he had a magnet or something, which again he lacked.

With a sad sigh, he looked all around and under the box, and found... One 5¥ coin, and nothing else. "Well, it's something.", he looked at it for a moment against the light, before putting it away in his coin pouch.

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
She was fast and without a moment's hesitation the girl was suddenly beside him, examining the box herself. Her tail swished left and right curiously as her unfeeling eyes poured over the simple offering box. With one hand she casually picked it up, its heft being hardly a pittance to her metal body. "If it's money you're after, you could make more just by begging and acting cute since you're so small. Or if you're intent on being a villain, you could possibly rob a stranger, or a bank."

Even as she spoke, her eyes never left the box which she turned over several times, the change inside noisily sliding from one end to the other in a cacophony of jingling coins. "Is the priest here frightening in some way? I suppose at your size most things in this world can appear threatening in some way." The way he was acting reminded her of a homeless person, but even the homeless had the decency to beg before ripping off a shrine.

Children could be stupid. She understood that much all too well.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

He sat down at the steps behind the offertory boxpulling his knees close and shaking his head. "I was doing that the entire day, being cute and all, I just... Got lost in a train of head pats, hugs and chin scratches. As a cute pup in the forest path. And I didn't bring any money when arriving in Kaneshima, so I'm this poor.", his eyes strayed to the side the moment she lifted the box.

The wolf boy was ashamed to have not planned things ahead of time and now being more poor than a certain shrine maiden from a doujin shoot'em up game, or something like that. "It's not just about my size, I'm really just a minor Yokai, I can't put a fight at all and I'd not like to have my tail blasted off again. Takes a while to regenerate.", he ws quick to answer, looking at her at last, his dark eyes set on the girl, the lights of the lanterns barely reflected in those black irises and pupils.

"I have been wandering for a long while, and now I found a place to be, yet... I have no home.", he looked up to the night sky, "I wonder why this island makes me feel at peace, makes me inspired..."

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
"Being powerless is no good, but there's no need to do things like this. You'll only sully your own hands and life will become even more difficult for you." She said flatly. Bestowing wisdom unto the tiny, fuzzy masses. This was not something she'd normally do, but something about him, innocent and lost, forced to do thinks like this to justify living another day. It struck a chord with her. In a way, he wasn't all that different now than she had been back then.

The difference was that someone had found and helped her back then and this boy had nobody.

Knocks set the box in front of the young demon and looked down at him, her tail making slow, sweeping loops behind her. "So tell me, what would you do if you could get a hold of all this money?" Her ice-like words held the atmosphere of both her own curiosity and something like a test. Still, to think she could ever fill the sort of role he had in her own life for someone else... the very idea was laughable. It was all just pretend in the end.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

"You are right. Though... I wonder what would go through their mind, if they realized it was only to sate a desire that a spirit shouldn't have. I don't need to eat, but seeing a small chocolate bar makes my mouth water. I don't need to sleep, but I want to dream. It's weird, isn't it?", he gave a small childish chuckle as he explained that.

However, the question this girl has asked, he has heard something like that... Either that or he always knew what he wanted, what he wished: "A heavy pouch brings heavier guilty, I would rather have a light one. Even if one coin is all I get, in the end it's my fault for not having thought my day through."

"This is kind of like The Tongue-Cut Sparrow, isn't it? How one was given the offer of a small box and a big box, but chose the small one because it was lighter, and got a reward greater than what he could imagine in the end. I recall some things of such story, yeah."
, his eyes went to her once again. He wasn't lying, those were not the eyes of a liar, but seemed there was a depth to them, that hinted he had more to tell than he ever meant.

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
She stood slightly taller, feeling his eyes on her like that while he spoke like some kind of sage. She didn't care for it at all and words like that... well, those were for the living, not someone like her. Knocks glanced down at the offering box, alone out here in the dark like this. Her fingers felt the hinges and lock on one side and with a small flick of her index finger, it snapped and popped off.

"I'll be honest, I've never really believed in karma and I have even less reason to start now." Turning the box upside down in one hand, a shower of change clattered and splashed at her feet. She liked the box and would be taking it with her, but the change could stay. She had no need for such things.

"If you still want it, you can have all of it." Maybe that's not exactly what he would've done, but maybe that was for the best. Measuring herself against him would always mean a losing battle.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

Observing her actions, he judged the best course of action. He knew what he wanted for himself, and taking a few coins in hand he put them away into the coin pouch, but grew worried about the rest. "Could you please help me return the rest of the coins back to the box? The people of the shrine use this money to maintain it.", in the end he really wanted little and had what he wanted, more than that was unnecessary.

"And we can't leave it here, unprotected. And I myself can't fight, at most I can use words, and words are not weapon, are they?", that would depend all on what he meant, and how they were used... After all, he has seen words change lives before.

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
"..."

She looked annoyed, however briefly, her eyes darting from the coins, to the boy, and then to the box. As much as she wanted to be accommodating, sticking all those coins back into the box... not to mention the fact that she had wanted to keep it in the first place... It seemed like too much. With a sigh and a quiet groan she resigned herself to the work, which, being an enhanced being with her speed and reflexes, meant the coins were stuffed back into the box in a matter of seconds.

If she were being honest with herself, it still seemed like too much of an effort, but she was trying to be better. "I can drop it off at the shrine keeper's residence, it isn't that much trouble." Her cheek puffed in a silent pout even as she said so. She wasn't very good at lying under these circumstances...

"But you're wrong, you know." Her expression softened as her eyes faded into a distant memory. "About words, I mean. The right words from the right person can cut deeper than any sword and mend hearts better than any spell or surgeon. That much I'll never forget." A weak smile appeared on her face as she seemed to return from whatever thought she'd momentarily lost herself in. "By the way, I haven't asked your name yet. Mine is..." She hesitated, a bit uncertain if she wanted to use her real name or not. Ultimately it didn't really matter. No one remembered who she was anyhow.

"My name is Noxiquidem."

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

"Thank you very much, I'll be able to rest easy with that.", this girl just made his whole night much easier. Right, he COULD have stayed awake the entire night, sleeping is something he only does for the sake of dreaming and looking normal, otherwise it was something unnecessary.

When told he was wrong, he briefly looked surprised. Has she observed, in his words, something that he let slip by. Intentional or not, that is... Smiling to her as well, his tail began to wag. "Smart! I won't ask why that is something you won't forget, but I assure you are correct in saying the right words can do more damage or more restoration than anything physically would.", in agreement, the wolf boy nodded and awaited for her to reveal her name, as he would soon reveal his.

"Pleased to meet you, Noxiquidem. As for me, I'm Tekigo Ookami.", he introduced himself politely. Wait... Ookami?!

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
Knocks blinked uncharacteristically as her brain processed the name. A tiny wolf spirit called Ookami? "Ookami? Does that mean you're some kind of deity?" She pondered him a little closer as though the answer to her question might be written somewhere on his person if she looked at him closely enough. Her tail swished in wide, curious arcs. Although she didn't want to say it out loud, he was awfully puny for a god...

More to the point though, "Wait, is it still considered stealing if a deity takes money from a shrine?" Shouldn't he get a cut of everything the temple makes? It only seemed fair, after all.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

Giving a giggle in response to her question and comment, he shook his head. The wolf boy the proceeded to correct: "This happens sometimes, likely because I steal a bit of shrine money every now and then. But no, it's Ookami as in:", pulling out his brush and dipping gently in the content of one of his ink bottles, he then looked at one of the lanterns and wrote on the air.

Wolf, "Ookami". "That's why I'm Ookami. I'm no deity, but I don't think they would mind me borrowing a bit. Just a simple Yokai, a Word Spirit in my case. And... This is what I do, I write things. Midair, specially.", there was however something he kept as a secret, for a good reason...

Tekigo didn't want everyone knowing he can write things in people's head too. He knew someone would want to see that abused somehow. Someone, somewhere...

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
Just a minor spirit, then? She wasn't sure if she was disappointed or relieved about that. Maybe it was selfish of her, but she felt better knowing he wasn't some deity looking down his nose at her. On the other hand, she might've had more in common with a belligerent, angry god than a tiny, ordinary wolf demon.

That said... "That's...an interesting ability." She said, tilting her head in feigned interest as she looked at the floating words. He could probably have a future in advertising or children's television, if nothing else. Kids probably loved it. Not that her abilities were anything special. She was a creature clinging to the fringes of existence inside a broken, magic fortress. No one dreams of being someone like her. No one normal.

"So now that you have your money, where will you go? Do you have a place to stay?" Nox wasn't sure she'd have to nerve to ask him when the time came, but she was going to try.

It's easy when you barely exist to put it all in the line. There's so little left to you in this world, but at the same time it makes what little you have all the more precious.

GrimRPer
Member Avatar

"It's not a great ability, but it's certainly some-", as he quickly got up, the kanji splattered onto his robes, "-thing.". From his reaction, he was briefly startled by the kanji that has now merged with his robes. Not that it mattered.

About her question, he walked towards the torii while listening to her. But stopping a small distance from her, he gave a friendly smile to Quidem. "I have nowhere to stay, but I have much to see. I feel like this Island will be my home after long searching for one. So for now, fare well, Noxiquidem.", unless she said or did something, he would make his leave.

Legacy
Member Avatar
I lurk because I care
She blinked awkwardly as he covered himself in magic ink, a bit unsure how to react to something like that, but getting the feeling that reacting at all might've made him feel worse. Either way, he seemed to shrug it off and with a farewell, turned to leave.

But... he couldn't leave yet...

He still had to, well, she had wanted to...

Her lips parted to speak, even as her hand reached after his turned back, but no words, nor her slender, bronze fingers could reach outside of her. Who was she kidding? She'd been wrong all along. He clearly didn't need her help. In fact he was probably better off without her.

Not like she had a good track record for this kinda thing. Maybe if she were better, he might still be...

"Goodbye, it was nice meeting you." Was the only thing she could manage to fumble off her tongue. Parting came naturally to her, so it was easier to just say that much. She wished him luck. Maybe she'd offer up a prayer for him after he left. Even if she didn't believe in such things.

And so she stood there and watched him go.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Kaneshima Shrine · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.