Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
[PLOT] Bad Publicity; Open to all
Topic Started: Sep 11 2017, 06:21 PM (345 Views)
Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

Natsuya was confused and out of patience. He was standing in front of his ‘booth’ but no one was approached him or dare come into radius of him. He clicked his tongue, realizing the reason must be with the appearance of his ‘booth’. A lone desk that he dragged out of a classroom with a thin pile of A4 paper that was held down by a rock. Suspicious as hell but what can you expect. He did his best for his last minute decision to join the festival.

“Hey hey hey get your new issue of the newsletter here!” Natsuya promoted, trying to hand out flyer but still no one approached him. On the flyer read:

Senki Academy Newsletter
Issue 02-09-17

READ NOW
Posted Image

Recruiting or subscribe

“Looking for subscribers and writers! Ignore the name, we also hire from Kaneshima High!” Natsuya shouted. Why was he bothering? Natsuya have realized that it wasn’t enough to get club members, as a newspaper club he needed readers. If he doesn’t have a stable resource of both, his club would be in danger of disbandment by the higher ups. And he could say goodbye to his new napping place. To be lazy requires alot of effort, Natsuya realized.

Annoyed with the lack of response, Natsuya decided to be a little more forceful. “Hey! Hey, you! Take it. You like writing? Wanna write for us?” He called out to a girl walking pass. But she muttered a meek ‘no thank you’ and quickened her pace. Natsuya quickly stopped her by slamming his feet on the wall and blocking her path.

“Then what about subscribing? You have a phone right? Take it out and scan this.” He shoved the paper at the girl’s face. It surprised her which causes her to cry and run away. “Hey! You forgot your flyer!”

Natsuya sighed, it wasn’t working. His annoyance turned to tiredness but he hasn't given up. He sent a message to his fellow club member and hopefully they’ll be here to help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KAHO
Member Avatar
What's in a name anyways?
Xiuya was half way across the festival when his phone drew his attention. A backstreet dance competition, Xiuya himself haven't quite made up his mind as to an impression. On the other hand, his compatriot was quite adamant.

Posted Image
"What a wonderful experience!" His companion spun about in the air.

"Who knew the human body can be so limber! It almost makes up for your inability to fly."

Xiuya, on the other hand, paid no mind to the Grimoire's rambling and spins. He also had no intention of glancing of the phone in his pocket. The distinct ring already clued him into the contents. He was here to enjoy himself, after all.

However, he could only blame Fate as his path led him straight to Natsuya's "booth". Even Xiuya's otherwise impeccable visagehad to quirk at the display. A desk, which very much could've been his own. A stack of paper with some hieroglyph and typeface head. In a word, the display was kind of pitiful. And extension, that made Xiuya pathetic by comparison.

If you're only going to reach out halfheartedly, what's the point of even trying?

Hiding his fist in open hands, Xiuya marched up to the club president, his steps announcing his presence.

"What is this?" the ruby haired man questioned.

"Ah, it's Natsuya. Taking up squatting as a hobby?" Ignore that talking puppet.

"I didn't think the newspaper would be doing anything for the festival."

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“There you are. This is the Newspaper Club’s booth for the school festival.” Natsuya turned to Xiuya, grinning. His sour mood beginning to lift. “We weren’t planning on joining. But there was a last minute change. Hence the current situation. Well, even if there was time for preparation there’s not much that can be done. We’re a newspaper club. An online one.”

Although Natsuya was using ‘we’, the only people involved in the decision being made at the time was him. Natsuya had woke up from his nap at the club room to the sound of festival’s concerts. He’d forgotten about the festival but as he looked down from the student building. An idea occurred to him. They needed subscribers and the festival was the perfect chance to raise awareness for SAN.

Natsuya handed him some flyers, “Now that you’re here, we’ll reach our quota in no time. Then we can call it a day and you can do what you were doing before this.”

KAHO
Member Avatar
Booth.

Xiuya returned Natsuya's gaze. Booth? His eyes dithered to the singular desk and stack of paper once more, before snapping back to the club president. Though it may seem the man's rationale and excuse would fell upon deaf ears, Xiuya absorbed each word wordlessly, wielding a silent countenance.

Eventually, he was given some sheets of paper in order pass out.

"How droll," President mused aloud hovering between the two. Eventually it made its way to Natsuya's "booth".

" I suppose being steadfast is a virtue, even in the face of such... competition?"

Meanwhile, Xiuya had stepped a short ways away. Before, with little ceremony, began filtering each handout into the recycling.

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“Oi, the fuck are you doing.” The question came out in a statement as it was obvious what Xiuya was doing. Natsuya eyes narrowed and coldly stated, “That is a waste of paper.” His problem wasn’t with the papers, of course but with his club member.

Natsuya walked up to Xiuya, invading his personal space. “Your actions don’t really fit with someone who’d come to help out. So I’m going to give you a chance to explain yourself.”

Natsuya’s glare intensified and he growled, “I don’t want to cause trouble in the club, considering the position that we’re in... but keep mind that I’m not very good at keeping my temper.”

KAHO
Member Avatar
Xiuya paused as Natsuya addressed him. Turning slightly, he regarded him with one eye, blinking only once. His own reply soon followed.

"What are you doing?"

A response and an echo of Natsuya's own words. Unlike the former, however, Xiuya's was a sincere question. Turning his eyes forward and down, the young man began leafing through the pamphlets in an idle manner, merely keeping his hands busy whilst he spoke.

"I know, we are members of the same club, after all."

His ambling halted.

"My brother once told me that something not worth doing your best is not worth doing at all.". Xiuya cracked a far off grin.

"Of course, he was one of a fire temper like yourself; there were many more explicatives and cursing, but I believe my rendition serves to capture what I think he was trying to say."

He shrugged off his smile.

"So, allow me to rephrase your question. What do you think you're doing?"

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“Did your brother also told you to shit on other people’s effort because they don’t live up to your standards?” Natsuya counter, with less fury and more sarcasm. He was confused as to whether Xiuya was trying insult his work or his weird way of helping.

“I’m trying to gain interest for our newspaper. And if you don’t like the way I’m doing things, I’m opening for suggestions.” Natsuya challenged. He didn’t believed Xiuya can offer anything better. Despite the lack of it, Natsuya did gave some thought on how to advertise their newspaper. However the challenge was that it was all online and nothing physical to show.

Corruption
Member Avatar

Fran had been keeping an eye open for problems, and this seeming crazy guy fitted the bill quite easily.

The other guy, who seemed to be in the newspaper club as well seemed to be stirring him up without even trying.
She figured to step in before the crazy one got worse.

Drawing attention to herself, she said "I don't know about him, but instead of fliers, you could have samples of past issues printed out, details about what joining the club would entire, the types of areas you wants reporters in. For example, is anyone covering the businesses moving in, or the new tech being created by all these high tech users meeting up? What do local business people think: is the school drawing in more customers, or are things changing too much for them to stay as they had been?"

She nodded to the more reasonable one "Your brother's view makes sense, but I would have phrased it as: 'A poor attempt can be worse then no attempt.' He was scaring people away, and may have been causing problems for the club. Right now anyone who saw him, or that he harrassed will be thinking the Newspaper club is full of crazies. I can't really blame them. I mean, working a booth here means being the face for the club, representing it. What club with anyone sensible in it would allow someone crazy enough to harras passer-bys represent them?"

KAHO
Member Avatar
Xiuya blinked at Natsuya, as if he was a madman.

"Do they live up to your standards?”. The red haired man countered Natsuya's question with his own. Unlike the former delinquent, however, Xiuya's was not a thinly veiled accusation.

It was an honest question.

"What do you think a club is?" Xiuya asked as they were joined by a third. Though Fran's advice was sound for the current predicament at hand, Xiuya was picking at something more intrinsic.

Why did Natsuya make this club.

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“Harrass!?” Natsuya said with disbelief. Him harassing passerbys? He wasn’t doing that. Natsuya paused to dwell on the girl’s words. She made alot more sense than Xiuya. He wasn’t harassing anyone but if it seemed so from an outside point of view, then he had to take that into consideration. It would be problematic if his actions cause bad rumors to start.

“I suppose this will do more harm than helping the newspaper club.” Natsuya stated slowly, giving up. Taking another look at the flyers, he realized how suspicious they look. They look like the flyers his friends used to make to scam people.

“I put in too much effort to create this club, I don’t intend to lose it. So instead of playing 20 questions, you giving useful advice like her.” Natsuya pointed at Fran. “What’s your name? Interested in the newspaper club? We could use someone like you.”[/color]

KAHO
Member Avatar
"Effort," Xiuya repeated. At this, his voice froze over. Despite the fanfare of the fair around them, a viscous vacuum swelled about Xiuya.

He regarded Natsuya, a subtle check filtering in the back of his mind, of judgement formed and impressions made. The most minute curl plucked his expression, as his gaze degenerated. Despite the smile, a roiling contempt seemed to come off him.

"Do you make an habit of lying to yourself?" Fighting words came out, though their utterance came not from Xiuya, but the white creature hovering about him. Despite its accusatory tone, its slit eyes were deferred, wafting away as if the current bored it.

"This is too troublesome," it remarked, yawning in cartoonish fashion. "I just want a place to nap," it muttered pointedly, stretching its indivisible digit skyward.

"If you don't ask questions, you won't get answers." Just as he spoke, Xiuya then rolled his attention over to Fran. Gesturing, he beckoned her to step closer, before speaking once more in his hushed, even tone.

"Since our President seems unwilling to answer my questions, how about I pose them to you? What do you think a club is?"
Edited by KAHO, Nov 1 2017, 01:13 AM.

Corruption
Member Avatar

Fran grinned "Apart from a suit of playing cards and a blunt weapon?"
Getting more serious, she thought about it for a moment "A club is a semi-formal accocciation of people willingly gathered to further a common interest. It may be for crime, for sports, even just relaxing." a pause for a bit more thought.
"The members must be approved, and their must be leaders to control things, to keep the club from going astray, or falling into disaray. They often have a few rules, which may be informal, or official, and new members are meant to learn the rules and abide by them. Members are often expected to try to contribute to the club in accordance with their abilities, ranking if their is any, and experiance."

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“That’s a very dictionary definition. I take it you’ve never been a part of one a club if that’s your only definition.” Natsuya said, he meant no insult but he was a little disappointed with her answer. There was a lot more to a club than that but he didn’t feel the need to bring it up. He paused in case she wanted to add more before going back to Xiuya.

“So? You got your answer. Where are you going with this?” Natsuya raised an eyebrow, preparing himself for another insult. Probably a complaint about his leadership.

KAHO
Member Avatar
Xiuya nodded, but offered no word. Instead, the bespectacled man rolled his eyes as Natrsuya offered his own judgement on Fran's definition. The irony of it was not lost upon him.

Turning to face their club leader once more, Xiuya crossed his arms, giving Natsuya another expectant look.

"Well, then, President. Since you seem like such a coinnesseur what leading, much less being a part of, a club entails, how about you enlighten this prospect recruit?" Xiuya shrugged his shoulders, causing Prea to shift with annoyance.

"After all, being the forefront of a newspaper club entails some acumen with both text and oration; if you are suitably impressive, mayhaps you'll get another pair of hands in building your image of a club."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Fran saw where Xiuya was going and had to struggle to keep a smile off her face and out of her voice.
"I've heard before about some potential benifiets from being in a newspaper club, but only if they have their act together. You have heard the kinds of ideas I can come up with. Now I need to see if the club shall be worth my time joining. After all, if it gets caught up in accusations of slander, bias, poor research and other things, that may destroy any future I may have as a journalist.
"So, please, tell my why I should join, and how you avoid the problems that can come to those not prepared?"

She was actually interested, Felinia had told her about how being part of a newspaper club can allow you to look into all kinds of things, and go all kinds of places without drawing attention. By becoming someone liked by the people, via shapping her own public image via her articles, it would mean the people may be less likely to turn against her is some people from back home came for a visit.

She was also aware that joining a poorly designed club that had problems like slander, paid articles, bias and poor reporting could have the exact opposite effect.

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“The Senki Newsletter was created to update community on news, trends, opinion from the student’s perspective. Our club member have a significant amount of freedom on their topic and voice because a testing ground for those who is interested journalism or a platform to say their opinion. We’re a newspaper club, not a newspaper company. I don’t think we’re going to have any serious problem on what we published...That’s the great part about being in a student club, you have more freedom and less responsibility. More importantly to have fun writing what you want to write.” Natsuya glanced at Xiuya, wondering if he would agree with his summary of the club.

“Of course, you’re concerns are legitimate. In order for the newsletter to be not be under too much trouble and for other reasons, I approve all headlines and articles before they are published. That is the only sole power I have over the club.” It was one of the very first rule he established when he was creating the club. He mostly made that rule so that the club reporters won’t run around and do something dangerous. But given the impression Natsuya gave the girl, he realized that probably doesn’t mean much to her. “And if there is any disagreement in my decision, members can bring it up in the group chat. I created this club to have a limited leadership role. My goal for this club isn’t for it to gain popularity and be a reputable news sources...although that would be nice..the main purpose is to create a platform for students to voice themselves.”

KAHO
Member Avatar
For his part, Xiuya remained decidedly stonefaced as first Fran spoke, then followed by Natsuya. Aside from the occasional quirk of his brow, or the barely perceptible tilt of his head to the speaker, one would've questioned whether he was listening at all.

"Well, neither of you are wrong," Xiuya muttered softly. If he was going to elaborate, he showed no digns of doing so. In essence, both have provided textbook definitions what a newspaper club was about. Rolling his shoulder, Prea stifled a yawn in response. Despite their suitable answers however, neither were the one he was looking for.

"Curious query, President; do you recall Zamari? Do you remember what type of music he preferred, or what food he particularly enjoys?"
Edited by KAHO, Nov 16 2017, 04:55 AM.

Corruption
Member Avatar

Fran shrugged before Natsuya was asked about someone called Zamari, and said "I went overboard. It's a bunch of people who get together to do something because they want to. The rest is to help if function."

When the club founder was questioned, Fran thought to herself "I guess this may be about this guy not paying attention to other members. However, the past tense is used. Either he left the club, or died."

She paid attention to Xiuya, and figured he was more organized. This other guy had written himself into a position of editor or a similar posting.

Natsuya Ate
Member Avatar

“Zamari is very much alive.”Natsuya looked at Xiuya questionly. Worry crept over him as he wondered if something happened to Zamari.

“I like him. A very good reporter, always turns his article at the deadline.” Natsuya cleared his throat and raised an eyebrow at Xiuya. He hoped he didn’t need to remind Xiuya that Xiuya has yet to submit a single article.

“I don’t think I ever knew what food and music he enjoyed. But I know he likes meditation and kitsune cafes. What are you getting at?”

Natsuya addressed Fran.“The good part about our club is that interaction can be done all online. Also if you’re worried about your reputation, we can give you an anonymous pen name.”

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Kaneshima High School · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.