Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
[PLOT] To Make History
Topic Started: Sep 1 2017, 05:31 AM (369 Views)
bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
All the fretting and worrying had paid off. And so did the research as well. Edie appreciated the hard work that the members of the Senki Academy Historical Society had done to put up such a wonderful display that was tasteful yet powerful.

It had, perhaps, been the catharsis that Edie needed since the eruption. Channeling her energy and effort that had gone into their history of the island to be transformed into this elegant display of centuries' worth of history and tradition, she had found an outlet with which to move on and find comfort knowing that she was doing it for the good of the community and the people who she had failed at their lowest point.

She had been thorough in making sure everything could be in place. She had gone back to contact subjects of interviews in order to ask for their approval to have their words and keepsakes put on display. Many had said yes, which was what led to the display being arranged like it did. A large board behind her had a huge array of artworks and artifacts prominently displayed, ranging from old pottery with native designs to ukiyo-e by visiting artists from beyond. Photographs of various times showcased daily life and highlighted the development of the island through the Meiji, Taisho and Showa periods. It all invoked a true sense of historical tact that appreciated what that sense of past memory meant to people.

Or so she hoped that was the effect that they got. The presence of the Historical Society was a relatively low-key affair, but their displays were quite prominent nonetheless and anybody wandering to the area where their booths were could easily catch their eye. Plus, a girl in a kimono behind the counter stood out.

It had been part of the creation of the traditional display. Edie had wanted to maintain a sense of consistency in the aesthetic employed, and to that end had found a couple of local tailors who had helped the club out by creating or recreating traditional dress for those manning the displays to wear. Including in this was a special lightweight komon that had been created using traditional techniques and patterns, highlighting the region's unique natural attributes with its complex yet beautiful design. These were only to be temporary rentals so the club wouldn't have to shell out that much out of the budget, but if she was being hoenst, Edie quite liked it. She considered the possibility of buying it for herself.

But that would have to come later. Right now she was focused on entertaining the visitors who were interested in the site. She straightened herself and gave her best impression. She looked elegant, yet smart, and that was just what she wanted and needed at a time like this.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mediocre
Member Avatar

Beneath the necklines of many of the other Kaneshima High visitors, a strange helmet-clad boy pulled two wheeled plastic coolers along through the scattered crowds, switching from one distorted hand from the other every few seconds on each one. It was slow going, and his own muffled grumbling only added to his annoyance.

His verbal venom was cut only by his rather restrictive mask, "Stick me with the heavy lifting. Yeah, great idea, bunch of louses- those giants from America and another world really putting themselves out there. This is exactly how I wanted to use today!"

He almost started his whining again when he thought he caught a glance of the president's face through the crowd. He licked beads of sweat off his nose- everyone else was hot, of course, but most of them weren't wearing their uniform and a hot and heavy mask.

He gasped in relief as he took a momentary breather, "Whew, guess it wasn't as far as I thought. Great spot, actually."

Before starting his trek again, he remembered that the president would be wearing the appropriate garb and seized for a second to imagine it. While she wasn't the knockout beauty that some of the other foreign students were and he wasn't so sure the serious studious sort was his type, it was still fun to see the girls in traditional clothes.

Careful to avoid a substantial line around the dango station he proceeded to swerve, and gave a casual wave to a certain lizard upperclassman who was too busy cooking to take note. Finally, he found the history stall, pulling under the tables at the side with ease thanks to his height.

After some deliberation, he decided against scaring the president from behind and simply knocked on the table next to her and carefully sliding handling a bottle of water to hand her.

"Special historical delivery," he announced in his standard deadpan, "Waters, old-fashioned ramune, teacups and tea leaves."

He added right after with a hint of disdain, releasing the plastic waterbottle before her quickly as if it were a grenade, "Also, whatever's in the 'do not open' cooler. I don't know if heat stroke is considered a period practice, but I'm modernizing us on that front."

He leaned against the nearby table, taking a water- very carefully- for himself as well.
Edited by Mediocre, Sep 9 2017, 07:55 AM.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Edie glanced up to note the arrival of Fukumen Wanatabe. Avoiding shifting from her seat, she took the bottle of water. She wasn't perturbed by his appearance, so she just took the water and put it under the table, away from the prying eyes of anybody so interested in peeking over.

"Thank you," she said simply as she opened it up and took a quaff. It was a hot day and for all that she felt cool enough in the relatively lightweight kimono, it still weighed down on her and she knew that she needed to keep hydrating if she was going to survive the day.

She looked to him. Even under the helmet she could recognise his stature and voice. "How much do you have there? I'm sure this is well more than enough to last us the day, even with the people we have here."

Behind her, an unfamiliar form lurked in the shadows, fixing up a couple of the displays. With much of her body hidden by a traditional noren curtain with very diverse hues, all that was visible was the intricate, precise patterns of the bottom overgarments, whose nonetheless simple, rustic make indicated it had a particular ancient symbolism to it that probably precluded much of that which was on display.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

Awkwardly sipping from his own water under the mask, the young Wanatabe decided he would size up the president in the dress after all. He'd been a bit rude not to comment on it, after all- even if she was the type that might not care.

"You're welcome," He mentioned unfocused as he failed to prevent the water from dripping down his neck as usual, "Man, Prez, you were made for that kimono. Is that one of the rentals?"

He gave her a second to answer before pulling the ramune out of the ice, explaining the volume of drinks, "Do you think it's too much? I wanted to suggest earlier, but I forgot; we can sell 'em at a mark-up if that doesn't detract from the booth."

He realized too late that he'd held the ramune too long, and the drink exploded towards the back of the stall. He thought he saw someone suspicious out of the corner of his eye as the lemonade made a sticky mess on the ground.

"Not that one, obviously. I'm going to... get something to clean that," He mentioned, heading out the back, "Won't be long."

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"You really think so?" said Edie, nodding. "Yeah, it is a rental. I really like it too myself though, and actually I might buy it too. With my own money, of course."

She glanced at the drinks that Wanatabe had brought over. Indeed, there was more than a lot that were still available. She thought about it a bit. Finally, she spoke. "Well, I think it's not a bad move, but I'd rather not. It kinda detracts from the sort of image I'm looking for with the club. Of course, you could go around and raise some money for it if you'd like while plugging the club."

She flinched slightly as Wanatabe broke the ramune bottle. Thankfully none of it had spilled on her or her clothes, and likewise nothing else had really spoiled. "I have some towels and rags in the back. You can find them in a box behind the noren." She indicated where they might be.

Behind the curtain, and everything else, the figure shifted and fidgeted. She seemed to be concerned about being spotted in this manner, but at the core there was an undercurrent of frustration and fury that was making her stand her ground nonetheless.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

The history club's gopher was pensive for a second, wondering just how often someone'd get to wear a kimono and how much it'd set them back. It didn't sound like the Prez was hurting for money, especially given the way she said it.

"Is that so," He asked, trying to convey a comedic tone, "Well, if you want to get your money's worth you can always wear it to all the club meetings. Attendance next year would probably double."

He wasn't serious, he just wanted to poke a little fun. Prez might play along, but she'd probably not give the reaction he liked. He himself was a bit distraught by her suggestion of selling the drinks and plugging the club himself- although money was actually pretty glitch-resistant, holding merchandise long enough to sell it usually ended in disaster. He decided not to even breach that topic and just head to clean things without blowing more up.

Fuku took to opening the flapping noren, looking about at an angle where he could not yet see the helpful interloper. It's not like his headgear did much for his peripheral vision, after all.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Edie broke her composure as she gave Wanatabe something resembling side-eye. She knew that he was joking, of course, but there were a pretty obvious series of issues that might come with it. A kimono was mostly worn for formal occasions, and the cost and time needed for maintenance made it impractical for wearing all the time like that. Then there was the fact that they would have to get it through the school for approval. And of course she just might give the image of elitism and pretentiousness, even if this was a more casual one compared to other types like furisode.

"Well, I'd like you to give it a try," she quipped. "Try sitting here like this for half a day then tell me that again." Truth be told though, she was bluffing a bit. The kimono fit her quite well and was quite comfortable even in the mild heat. It was something she'd wear to any other festival. It just managed to fit her so well in any context. Was it something that she'd wear all day, every day? Probably not. But perhaps it would be something she'd treasure as a valuable that highlighted local tradition and craftsmanship.

In any case, she looked back forward as she began conversing with some of the visitors who were talking to her about the booth and the display. She spoke energetically and proudly, but straightforward and formally. She remained true to the character and atmosphere of the display with every word and gesture she made.

Behind them, in a dark corner covered by the noren, the as-yet unidentified figure shifted backwards, like a cornered animal.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

Well, at least she gave some reaction. Helmethead wondered if there was a bet to be made off her little challenge, but remembered the reality of his situation.

He explained just before diving through the curtain, "If I didn't have to wear it over the uniform, I really might have taken that offer."

Well, it was easy to say since he was disqualified anyways, but he probably wouldn't have done it. Rooting through a box, he shifted the contents aside to rescue the towels, and knocked a very ugly festival mask to the ground.

"What is all this crap?" He mumbled to himself, "I guess whatever was on loan. Ah, here we are... but I think I could use another one."

Deciding to examine the rest of the room, he turned to the dark corner, searching down and slowing rising to see... something suspicious.

Turning away, he spoke to himself, "No, no, that's not what I saw here. This is the sort of nonsense that starts off a comedy routine. I'll check again and it'll be gone."

He looked back, and nothing had changed. Once again, he denied his vision and sweated uncomfortably, swiping his hand into his chest dismissively.

"C'mon now, Wanatabe, nothing else is in here but you. Even in this crazy city things have a little rhyme or reason. I don't even need to look again. Why would I? It'd be absurd, so there's obviously... nothing..."

He looked again.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"There's a few that might do," called Edie as she turned over to look again. "I think there's a traditional fishermen's coat in there that would be perfect for your size and appearance."

The coat in question was a large, light stylised overcoat of a particular local design that made use of deep, flowing patterns of blue, brown, green and a few strands of red that were symbolic of the island's environment. Amidst those waves of intricately outlined fabrics were motifs of local and regional wildlife, stitched in beautiful quilted patterns that could only have been accomplished by a skilled artisan.

Edie felt confident that Wanatabe would like it. "It's in the big box at the back. Should be the first thing you pull out when to reach into it."

The box happened to be next to a dark spot in the far back end of the booth, where little light shone in. If Wanatabe wasn't careful he could easily take hold of something else without realising by mistake.

It also happened to be the spot where the figure, concealed by the little light, was hiding behind a shelf. Shifting away, it tried not to be noticed as the man made his way back...

Thump.

The figure accidentally bumped into a large shelf with quite a number of boxes on it. Tremors caused them to rattle, and one of the more precariously placed ones fell to the ground. Thankfully nothing hard or delicate was in it so it fell to the ground with a gentle thump, but if nothing else it hadn't gone unnoticed by the interloper, who had inched closer to the darkest part of the wall and hoped that the others hadn't noticed.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

Trying to uncoil himself from his terror, the horrified boy inched towards the object of his dread. It was a paper fan with the scene of a fancy lord's meeting and handsome calligraphy on it- except although it was obviously supposed to read "King", it read "Ball".

"Say it isn't so," Wanatabe lamented for his people and his culture, clutching tightly at the maybe-towel/maybe-overcoat/maybe-something else to stabilize himself in this trying time.

He remembered himself and quickly removed one hand from the mystery object in order to prevent its ruination. Before he could (rightly) finish worrying about the state of the fan, a noise caught his well-muffled ear. Fallen boxes.

"Freshly fallen," he mused pointlessly as he checked them, "Almost too fresh. It must be the work of... lousy stacking. I'm certainly not about to tell her she did a bad job, though. Now, what did she say about a coat?"

Wanatabe had no idea that he'd completely missed both the towels and the coat for a strange rolled-up scroll on a cloth peg, but to whoever was in the back it was more than obvious.

"Oh, here it is," He said, grabbing entirely the wrong thing once again.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
By this point Edie, now looking back to see where he was digging around, could tell that he wouldn't be grasping for the right thing, so she got up and left her station. If Wanatabe couldn't figure it out, she thought, I'll get it for him.

"It's here," she began as she bent down to make sure it was the right item. As she did, she stepped back a little which put her back out of the shade and into the light. "This one," she said pointing it out for him.

As she did, someone from outside gave an audible catcalling whistle. She immediately whirled around and gave a fiery death glare accompanied with a false smile. It wasn't the first time she'd have to deal with harassment like that, but enough times dealing with it was enough to make her stand up to harriers through body and facial language. Of course she'd give them a throw if she could, but sometimes you just had to do what you could given the circumstance.

She looked back at Wanatabe, handing him the right coat while rolling her eyes and muttering in disbelief at the nerve of those sort of people - and found her eyes lying on a pair of brown eyes lingering in the dark shadows next to the back shelf. They immediately retreated, but Edie had caught on. She stepped forward to see who it was - the one who Wanatabe had missed.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

"Oops", the boy thought- looks like Edie was taking matters into her own hands.

The newest history club member (that he knew about) stepped to the flap to get a better look at what he was holding. They were definitely not the right things. A scroll and a loincloth- certainly historical items, but of questionable purpose at this event. He felt even more foolish than usual and put them back somewhere easy-to-find but not quite in the right place.

The expression she gave after being whistled at was one he'd wished he'd gotten a picture of, even if he felt a little bad that his own incompetence had even necessitated it- and that he kind of wished he could whistle like that.

He tried to express his muffled sympathy as he accepted the coat, "Get that a lot, Pres? My bad..."

Of course, he still had to wear it overtop of everything else, but at least he felt a little more festively dressed for once. It was always the little things, he surmised, his back to the stranger while he carefully felt the material and fitting.

"Guess someone had a short ancestor. Don't tell me if this belonged to a kid just yet, I want to pretend for a bit."

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"It's nothing," she said as she shrugged it off, stopping herself as she turned to him. "He's probably one of those really leery guys that thinks that he's turned on by girls who look even remotely foreign in some respect." She sniffed as she drew back a lock of her hair like a curtain.

She turned back to Wanatabe and helped him put the coat on. It did seem a little small for him, but that was mostly due to the fact that the loose flowing fabric didn't drop as far down the length of the body as was normal. It didn't quite seem to make it down the full length of his legs, stopping just short. She giggled as she helped him tie the obi around his waist. "If it was a kid who wore it, they were probably pretty big," she quipped. It looked like a yukata but had the feel of a happi or a haori, which she was sure would be comfortable enough for him even under the heat.

She was just about to return to the station, momentarily forgetting what she had seen, when another thump echoed through the dark spot behind Wanatabe. And it seemed to be followed by a gasp too.

Edie stepped forward, her eyes narrow. "Oi, whoever's over there, show yourself!"

Mediocre
Member Avatar

"Maybe that whistle's all he's got," Fuku half-agreed with his superior, not really sure why she thought his attraction was only in his head. After all, the masked boy had become easy prey to the charms of foreign girls himself, once or twice- he kept this line of thinking to himself, of course.

The coat was actually not half-bad, even over his distortion-proof uniform. He had to appreciate anything that didn't go on over the head, even if it didn't look so snazzy or fit reasonably well. There was no way his expression of joy was going to make it through his head-cage, though.

He made sure to at least thank her, "...This, uh, actually means a lot to me, now that it's on. Thank you, pres- I gotta say, the one thing I really haven't regretted since coming here is joining the clu-"

His line of thinking was interrupted by a thump. He grabbed the loincloth with two hands, and it solidified into a rather pretzel-like blade as he advanced on the mysterious figure.

"What she said. This is real sharp, and I can't see a thing, so make this easy on everyone. Especially me."

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"Alright, I guess there's no point keeping it up," said the low voice of a girl who was clearly speaking in the local dialect. She walked out, showing her face to Edie and Fuku, holding her hands up in such a way to indicate surrender.

"Hey, don't I recognise you from somewhere?" asked Edie as she looked her down. The girl was wearing the uniform of Kaneshima High School, and by the looks of things she seemed to bear some hallmarks of being a delinquent.

"Where?" she asked in response. "The school? You'll probably have to pardon me, I'm afraid I don't take to remembering faces around there very well," she said. "Not unless they're someone exceptional..."

"Well, that's probably beside the point," replied Edie in a more frustrated tone than before. "Just what were you doing intruding on our space anyway?"

The interloper retorted, "Your space? Have you no respect for our culture and history?" in a tone of sudden, fiery lividness that made Edie balk.
Edited by bonniecanuck, Oct 13 2017, 11:59 AM.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

Fuku quickly and happily dropped the weaponized underwear, letting it stick into the ground awkwardly as its distortions lessened.

He tried to introduce himself, but was immediately cut off, "-Ah," was all he managed to get out as he was forced to watch the tensions rise between the two girls.

He was still getting used to the stupid dialect, so he didn't catch that much besides that she was getting angry at the pres. It was still pretty dark- but he could tell she was a kaneshima student. Normally the walking glitch wouldn't care to take sides, but Edie had just been pretty nice to him, and it was disorienting to see someone normally so reasonable get frustrated.

"Wow, Pres, she really turned that on us fast," He spoke to Edie in an incredulous way as if the other girl almost wasn't part of the discussion, "I wonder if it's hard to get on such a high horse while you're sneaking around in the dark."

He considered with a bit of disdain that she just watched him bump around back here like an idiot that entire time as well. She missed a perfectly good pranking opportunity for whatever nefarious nonsense she had planned.
Edited by Mediocre, Oct 14 2017, 09:47 AM.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
The girl glared disdainfully at Fuku, looking up and down at him as if he were completely unclothed. "And what of you? You, denigrating the culture and history of our people with a purpose of nothing more than commodification?"

That outburst jarred Edie into acting. She took an advancing, threatening step forward while saying in a low voice, "Now see here. I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want or have to do with us. But you are trespassing on our area, and I will ask of you one thing. Either state your intentions and business, or leave."

This made the girl step back and sigh, as if releasing a rage that had almost no time to get pent up and pressurised, and said, "If we can please sit down, I will try to explain myself to you." Edie nodded in agreement to this and pulled up one of the cushions from the front for her to sit down, to which she gave a word of thanks.

Setting herself down on the floor in turn, Edie made sure to listen closely and attentively. She hadn't in the least anticipated this, but she was alright with at least hearing her case and trying to sort out exactly what was going on. Fukumen, on the other hand, she had some concerns about.

"Would you like to take part?" she asked him. She didn't want to leave him on his own, but on the other hand she had some concern about what he might say in response. Still, at least it would be considerate to ask first.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

The only response the boy could muster to the glaring interloper was a shrug and shaking his head, "Denigrating? Commodification? Are those even words? I haven't been here long."

He wasn't entirely sure they were local-isms, but the breadth of his vocabulary was too narrow to know either way. He'd thought this whole debacle had been a school thing at first, but maybe it was because they weren't townies.

When it came time to sit down, he excused himself for a minute, "Hold on, no one's running the booth. Give me a second."

Borrowing a marker and some paper he made a quick "back in ten" sign without blowing up any of the materials and laid it diagonally against a piece of native art on the front table before coming back and taking his own seat, barely avoiding sitting on a fragile-looking pot.

He adjusted his helmet as he tried to find a comfortable seated position and explained, "It's just us two from the club, might as well sit in."

He didn't care so much and wasn't looking forward to a lecture from a delinquent, but it was actually pretty cool in this little section at the back.

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Edie nodded approvingly to Fuku as she watched him go at work. For all of his quirks with his quips, he was resourceful and diligent, and she appreciated that about him.

She and the girl sat down, and when he joined them, the other person, of whom they knew nothing of, began to speak.

"My name is Kyoko," she began. "I am a student of Kaneshima High and a local native. I'm also the acknowledged lore-keeper of the town and the preserver of its history and heritage. It is my duty to ensure that not only does the knowledge of our people and culture endure, but that it does not fall into the wrong hands." She spoke with pride and self-assurance, as if she truly took to that duty as seriously as the priest of a historic shrine.

Edie nodded. "So in other words, you are the go-to authority around the town for its history? Admittedly, I had heard of the name on occasion among some of the people that I spoke to when working on the project." Kyoko flashed with a momentary anger when she said that last, but she didn't let that get the better of her, replying, "Yes, quite a few people who you spoke to for their contribution are close to me as people whom I've consulted closely with on their stories." All the while Edie listened closely as Kyoko continued to explain the work that she had done in the past.

Mediocre
Member Avatar

The drifter of Japan looked between the two girls as he followed, trying to relate. Even if he'd stayed in one place all of his life- even a place like Kaneshima- he really doubted he'd be able to care nearly as much as Kyoko here. The only person that seemed to bother as much as her was Edie- did she feel threatened, or something? It was probably deeper than just that. Fuku already regretted sitting in on this awkward situation.

Waggling his fingers in front of himself, he chimed in without bothering to give his fake name, "Well, these are the wrong hands in more ways than one, but if Pres was trying to do something wrong I wasn't paying attention for that part."

"Besides," He added while stashing his horrible hands and talking with a bit of personal irreverence, "Some folks don't belong to anyplace. Why should they need anyone's permission to try to change that?"

This was definitely the wrong crowd to say this to. He considered apologizing, but Edie had good cop covered already- and Kyoko was coming off as very superior about the whole thing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Kaneshima High School · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.