Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Morning Workout; Open
Topic Started: Jun 20 2017, 07:15 AM (129 Views)
Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

The next few days after Neves had settled into her dorm room were a bit of a whirlwind. Between getting into a routine at a new school and being brought up to speed on where her classes were, the white-haired Brazilian girl was left much to busy to slip back into her previous worried state. Admittedly, Edie, her new friend, had made things much easier on her mind, but it also had prevented her from keeping up with her exercising.

Thus, on the first Saturday since her arrival, she rose early and made her way to the Gym. She had been told that on occasion one could get some quiet time for workouts if one could rise early enough. With a school full of kids with extraordinary physical and other abilities, it wasn't too surprising that the Gym was left open for the most part to allow them to hone their skills.

In Neves' case, though, her preference was to simply work on something relatively normal. Well, it was normal in Brazil, anyway.

She was dressed with a tank top which had the Brazilian flag emblazoned on both the front and back, and her shorts were black. Neves carried a small portable CD player and a couple of disks. When she entered, she was glad to see that the gymnasium floor was empty. I guess getting up at the crack of dawn does have its advantages.

Neves took a spot on the cushioned floor and placed the player over to the side, along with the CDs. She then kicked off her sneakers and stood barefoot, enjoying the sensation of the cool softness of the padding. She then proceeded to begin a series of warmup stretches, a routine she could have done in her sleep if she had cared to try. Rotational stretches for her hips and shoulders were first, followed by a series of leg and back stretches. She then went on to side leg stretches and splits before standing up and beginning with kicks.

It was nearly fifteen minutes before she felt limber enough to being in earnest, and during the warmup exercises, she simply emptied her mind of everything but what she needed to do next. It might have seen rather mechanical to anyone else witnessing it, but Neves found she had truly missed the routine.

Finally, after one last deep breath, she strode back to the CD player, inserted one of the disks and hit play. She closed her eyes and waited for the first track to start.

As soon as the sound of the Berimbau, the bow-like instrument which created the 'twangy' sound of the music associated with Capoeira, began, her body took over from her mind, and she began to sway into the ginga. The swaying, rhythmic and long stepping motion was the basic movement of the style, and allowed a capoeirista to slip into almost any move. Then rest of the music picked up its pace, the players' voices began their song, and Neves let the cares of the world slip away.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
"Hah...this place is pretty big. Maybe I should've made a more structured route to follow" Ashley complained to herself as she hunched over and rested her hands on her knees.

Thinking a morning run would be better than watching tv at the hotel or reviewing the Association's orders for the umpteenth time, she set out to run around the school. Unfortunately, she soon found out that her new school was not formed in a simple layout and went running around to observe all the buildings. Before she knew it, she was lost and had been running around for 45 minutes without any inclination of where to go or how to head back to the hotel.

She motioned to put a hand down her pocket and submit to using her phone's GPS to find her way back but...oh right! No pockets in her running capris and she did not think it would have been comfortable running with a phone in her sports bra.

"And...now I'm stranded in the middle of my future school" she sighed.

She stopped for a moment and considered using Type:Rider to help her get back. But thought better of it, even if this was supposed to be a school for supernatural youths, a girl riding a phantasmal dragon would probably arouse more attention than she wanted before she even went to orientation.

She went ahead and decided to get out of the heat by resting in the closest building. If it by chance was open at this hour. Coming up to the double doors, she pushed hard to swing them open and let out a relaxed breath as the cool air condition air caressed her sweating face. She stepped forward and began to change her hair from a ponytail into a bun, eyes darting around to see where she had just walked into.

It took her a moment to analyze that the sound that was echoing off the walls was coming from the CD player a few feet in front of her and another to see that someone else was here. Ashley moved away to the nearest wall to try and stay out of her way but could not help but be entranced by her movements. It was interesting, a strange combination of dancing and kicking she was not familiar with.

Considering this white-haired girl was about as old as she was, maybe she was a student? It would be unwise to take miss a chance to find out where she was and get directions. So Ashley decided to wait for a bit until she was done before she asked, no doubt it would be annoying to have someone interrupt you mid-workout.

Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

Flips, cartwheel kicks, handstands, and various combinations thereof. Neves slipped from one maneuver to another, barely letting one finishing before starting the next. She didn't try to think about which position to shift to next. Instead, she just let her body and music tell her what was needed.

She just aware of someone entering the gym, though she did not recognize the individual. She didn't mind having an audience; in fact, she was used to being watched when practicing, even in Sao Paulo. So long as they didn't interfere, she was fine with it.

It was only after another five minutes when the song faded out that she stopped, breathing hard but loving how the workout had made her feel. She strode over to the player and switched off. Then with a smile, she turned to look at her observer.

"Good morning," she said. "What do you think of Capoeira?"

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
Within her, a slight twitch of excitement sparked upon seeing Neves continue. Was it Lancer? Probably wanted to test her abilities against this strange style.

"Good morning!" Ashley replied, rubbing her eye, irritated from a drop of sweat that had slid into it.

"It's beautiful, I've never seen anything like it before"

While true, Ashley had spent the majority of her time in labs or designated training fields so she never was allowed to experience much besides boring regiments.

"Where did you learn to move like that?"

For a moment, Ashley forgot her plight and was more interested in talking with this stranger. Interactions with people her age had been scarce. A moment later, she recalled that she needed help and immediately fired another question without hearing the answer to her first.

"Also, you wouldn't happen to know your way around the school would you?"

Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

"Only a bit," Neves confessed as she stretched at bit, keeping her muscles warm. "I only arrived a few days ago and I'm still learning my way around the campus. As for where I learned my style, I'm from Brazil originally. It's a fighting style that was developed there.

"But in any case, I can always talk about Capoeira later. I'm Neves Fuse, by the way. I'll help if I can. Just what or where were you looking for?"

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
"Ah!" Ashley felt her cheeks grow red, how could she had forgotten basic manners and failed to introduce herself "Ashley Solis"

She shook Neves' hand.

"I'm a new transfer from the United States. I was going for a run around the school and happened to...lose my way for the past hour."

Her shoulders slumped as she spoke, disappointment in her lack of directional sense evident by her actions.

"I'd be grateful if you could tell me where I could find the east gate from here. I should be able to find my way back to the hotel; hopefully I don't keep getting lost after moving into the dormitories tomorrow"

A sudden sting of mana shot up her right shoulder, prompting her to grab it on reflex.

"Ow! What the..?"

Seems Lancer was getting impatient.

Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

Almost as soon as she touched Ashley's hand, Neves felt a familiar 'buzz' in her head. Her magical sense had gone off. The fact that it hadn't gone off earlier she could not explain at first, but she realized that in a school full of individuals who had magical powers, it was 'on' almost constantly. She had been training her mind to ignore it much of the time, just for her own sanity. Physical contact made it impossible, though.

Neves, though, was surprised to hear the reason why Ashley was looking for the gate. Up until now, she had assumed that all school's students were campus residents, in one of the two dorms. That some were allowed to reside off campus was a revelation. "Sure, I think I can get you over there," she said. "Give me a minute to get my things together."

Though she had hoped to spend a bit more time working on her moves, she remembered what it had been like only a few days ago, trying to figure out where the dorms were. Edie had helped her then, so it was time to pay it forward to Ashley.

After she turned to get her cd player and the disks, she heard Ashley exclaim in pain. At the same time, she felt a spike of magical power. It wasn't much, but it was just enough for her to spin around. Ashley's left hand was on her right shoulder. "Ashley, are you okay?" she asked, giving her a concerned look.

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
“Ah yeah, I'm fine”

Another sting.

“Ah!” she squeaked “er...ok, maybe not so much”

She let her arm go and squared herself before Neves.

“I'm sorry to ask this just after we met but…”

She thought for a moment on how to explain her predicament.

“I would appreciate it if you had a quick spar with me...well, a form of me. One that really is a bit too curiou-OW”

That last mana jolt actually became physically visible as it crackled across her arm.

“A-anyway, I'd understand if you refuse. She...I can be a bit of a handful”

But Ashley knew that if she refused, her Lancer persona would likely be sulky and hard to channel for a bit. Maybe that was for the best? Either way, she stood ready to change in case Neves did decide to take her up on the duel.

Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

Neves watched Ashley with growing alarm. She was in pain, but Neves couldn't see the source. In addition, her magic sense was now going off like a fire alarm in her head. There was something going on with Ashley that had magic as part of the source, but exactly what Neves couldn't guess.

That was until Ashley asked about sparring with the Brazilian, even as she yelped in pain even more.

It was an unusual request, to say the least, if only because the other girl was in pain while making it. Then, she mentioned something that put the situation in a different light.

well, a form of me. One that really is a bit too curiou-

Was she possessed? It certainly would explain the surge of magic Neves was detecting. But she couldn't see a spirit around on in Ashley. Admittedly, even after several years of training, she still was unsure about all aspects of her ability to detect magic and see spirits. It was usually fairly reliable in that regard. So what was it that Neves was missing here?

Finally, though, her own experiences with her power came to mind. If left unused for a period of time while conscious, the unspent energy would cause Neves to develop headaches which could increase rapidly to migraine levels if nothing was done. With the pain and surge of power that Ashley was experiencing, it could explain a lot. And she was in need to burning off some of her own spirit energy, though she originally planned to do it while practicing.

"Ashley, I'm not sure what's going on -or at least I'm not certain, though I have an idea- but if you need to spar to take down that pain, we can." She grinned. "But if you can hold out and let me put a cd in, I can give you a better idea what the style is really like."

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
Clutching her arm one more time to try and futilely numb the sting, Ashley forced a smile.

"Thank you, I owe you big time for this."

As Neves went to set up her music Ashley began her own preparations and crouched into a three-point stance as if she were about to take off for a sprint.

The surges were calming down, her Heroic Spirit side seeming appeased that it was about to get some use after being neglected for the past few weeks. Yet Ashley did not feel relaxed in the slightest, he was hoping her lack of use would cause her powers to be rusty. After all, neither of her containers really knew how to go easy but Lancer would at least be less hardcore than Rider despite their difference in combat skill.

Ashely took a deep breath.

"Type..." she exhaled "Lancer."

While the stance and words were unnecessary, she found it helped her focus on the transformation to keep some control of her wild mana flow. A bright light emitted from her as her form was briefly engulfed in a torrent of mana. When the magi dispelled, Ashley stood in the same stance but now clad in black Chinese-style clothing and a long ponytail. On the hand that was not pressed to the floor she held a long spear whose steel tip shimmered as the last of the magical wisps faded away.

"All ready~"

That was definitely Ashley's voice but it was a lot more carefree than before, it seemed to carry like a melody.

"Oh hold on, this would be a bit unfair" she hummed, tossing the spear up and embedding it deep into the ceiling "alright, now how about you show me just how effective this Capoeira is, hmm?"

Ashley returned into a three point stance but took a wider stance with her legs and kept her knees likely bent. Her right hand was cupped as if holding something that wasn't there but that might have been the least peculiar thing about her "fighting stance"

Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

Neves sorted through her CDs, looking for the one she had in mind. When she made the discs, she had different themes in mind for each one. One played the typical music with a deliberately slower pace; another was a mixture of slow and fast; and yet another was actually some modern music she had mixed to allow for generic dancing as well as Capoeira.

Then she had one that was titled 'Fight Music'. Despite the title, it had less to do with her being prepared to fight every time she used it. It was mostly fast paced songs, picked to inspire her in her mind's eye if she ever did have to fight. Ironically, now she really did need it, though it was hopefully only sparring.

Hopefully...

Just as she found it, Ashley disappeared in an ocean of bright light, which sent Neves' magic sense screaming. It made her wince, though it settled as the energies faded rapidly. In Ashley's place was...what could be best called another version of the girl. With a spear...which thankfully she disposed of quickly (though she'd hate to be the maintenance person who would have to fix the hole in the ceiling).

Neves slipped the CD in and hit 'Play'. "Let's rock, honey!" she said a moment before Fall Out Boy's Centuries began to play. And a moment later, she began her ginga, letting mind slip from thinking hard about her actions, and allowing her body to do what was needed for the fight.

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
Ashely hung back and let Neves settle into her stance. By the looks of it, it was even more dynamic itself due to the motions.

"Keeping limber huh? Good plan"

Ashley reeled her power back to about 50%, still faster than any normal human but it was never any fun to go all out from the beginning. That just wasn't how a knight of the Lance fought.

Though, a knight of the Lance also doesn't fight barehanded but, eh details she thought to herself.

She took off from her starting position, stepping forward once and jumping several feet into the air with her second step.

"Let's see how nimble you can get" she cooed in mid-air.

A swipe from her leg was aimed at Neves' shoulder. The kick was purposely slowed and telegraphed but still made a whistling sound as it cut through the air.
Edited by Ark, Jun 24 2017, 06:27 AM.

Wynterfyre
Member Avatar

*The lyrics to all songs used are the property of their respective owners*

Some legends are told
Some turn to dust or to gold
But you will remember me
Remember me for centuries

Ashley's new 'form' or appearance (or whatever she was at this point) was not going to waste time with too much small talk, that was for certain. She had already leaped into the air by the second line of the song. Despite that, Ashley had intentionally slowed the attack, made it about as obvious as she could without verbally announcing 'Incoming kick, at shoulder height!'

Neves went into Meia-Lua de compasso, which was a combination low, rolling dodge that moved to a high back kick in one movement. If Ashley wanted to see just how agile Capoeira could be, she was about to find out.

And just one mistake
Is all it will take
We'll go down in history
Remember me for centuries

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Gymnasium · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
RPG Initiative Topsites
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.