Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Always A Catch; Open
Topic Started: Jun 11 2017, 12:11 AM (657 Views)
Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
Ashley paid no mind to Tyra as she went on about the food and future battles. She was more concerned with her aching finger. Her eyes watered up as she nursed it to her chest, keeping to herself that she wasn't aiming for her eyes but to push the spear in through her skull. A feat quite possible with her strength and weapon.

"Owww..." she whimpered.

She kept rocking on the chair, wanting her finger to magically heal back to normal.

She then noticed Tarouta approaching her.

"Ah, yeah this isn't too bad it just really hurts" she mumbled "don't think I need a doctor, it'd take too long to get back on time."

He seemed nice enough to care for her though, and even kinder to offer her a free meal to boot.

She grinned, shaking her head and shutting off the small, glimmering tears from the corners of her eyes.

"Nah, it's ok, I'd feel even worse if I didn't pay."

What do you know, Lancer had some pride in her after all.

She pulled out her credit card with her uninjured hand and passed it to him.

"So I take it, it's not always this lively here?" she giggled.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
Now that was interesting for Tarouta to note. She seemed to have healing capabilities much like his, only hers were a lot more intricate and full-bodied. He wondered whether a demonstration of his wouldn't be out of hand, but given what just happened along with the fact that he was still on duty, it would definitely be rather out of place.

"No, it really isn't. That's the most informal and boorish customer I've seen in any restaurant anywhere in a long time, and I've seen a fair share in different parts of the country." He hesitated for a moment before taking the card, then finding his portable POS terminal attached to his waist - the owner having put them in place to let purchases happen over the counter - and verified her card.

"Anyway, I'll make sure that you get your money's worth," he said as he returned her card and got back to his spot. He got back to work. "Don't forget this," he said inclining to the serving plate on the counter. The prawn nigiri had been sitting there for the past few minutes untouched.

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
"Ah! Food!" Ashley practically jumped from her seat, how could she have been so distracted that she had forgotten the primary reason for her little escapade?!

She brought the plate over and prepared to dig in. But something felt odd, she glanced up and saw Tarouta's eyes keeping watch, was she doing something wrong?

Oh right!

She clapped her hands together and loudly proclaimed "Itadakimasu!"

Looks like watching anime had come in handy after all. She unsheathed the chopsticks provided and snapped them apart. The crisp cracking of the wood somehow causing her to salivate a little as her anticipation rose. The first piece passed her lips and she felt transformed to the local waters, swimming beneath the surface. The food felt alive! As if it was conveying itmemories to her through flavor, this was waaaaaaaaaaay better than school food!

Totally worth a finger bite she thought, dreamily.

Instead of gulping down the food, Ashley tried to prolong the experience. Taking each piece and savoring the flavor slowly. Oh how she missed fresh fish!

She went for another piece absentmindedly and gripped air.

In her surprise, she looked down to find her plate empty.

"Hey, where'd it go?" she said, lifting the plate and looking around

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"Riiiiight here."

With a flourish, Tarouta produced another piece of nigiri, this time topped with a delicate fatty piece of kanpachi amberjack. "I see you're enjoying yourself," he said, "and that's what matters. Sushi is a relatively fast meal - about 20 to 30 minutes sitting time for the discerning customer - but part of that time is the process of enjoying each bite you take. The point of the omakase set you ordered is for us to surprise and please your tastes with quality, tasty sushi. And from here it's only going to keep going up. Two pieces down, eight to go. Take it easy. You'll be out before you know it."

Which reminds me. He flagged down one of the other apprentices and after exchanging some hushed words, sent him off to write something down in the back. He continued to prepare the next piece as he did, without missing a beat.

There was something of a dexterity to Tarouta that few could realise. Normally, it took almost a decade of training and learning on the job for anybody hoping to get into sushi to make the jump and start taking charge at any level. Usually they weren't even working the fish - many started off merely washing the rice or preparing the hot towels given to the diners before and after, in order to get them accustomed to the menial rigours of the kitchen before being promoted to actually handling food to be served direct to the customer. That Tarouta was working fish already was a testament of how far he had gone not just in terms of his skill and ability to work under pressure at this establishment, but in general given his prior work in his parents' restaurant.

When he had arrived, the regulars had looked down on him with scorn, as an upstart who only got the job because of a family connection. But he proved them wrong very quickly. Consistency and the ability to work his mouth and his hands all at once meant it didn't take long for him to build a rapport with the locals, and some only came when he was on shift just to watch him at work, making the perfect nigiri or roll every single time. The older apprentices did regard him with some degree of envy, but even they were more than appreciative of the weight he had the burden of carrying even before this.

Tarouta brushed those thoughts aside as he brushed the finished slice of fish with the soy sauce. He wondered whether any of the dishes on the menu wouldn't go down so well.

Ark
Member Avatar
Pew pew!
"I hope so, I probably don't have much time before the lunch break ends" Ashley said playfully but also with some urgency. She was trying to be more responsible after all.

She clapped her hands as the next piece was served and happily introduced the sushi to her lips. Her chewing slowed considerably from before as the food wrought delicious havoc on her taste buds and demanded to be savored!

"So, I don't think I ever got your name, Chef" she said, between mouthfuls.

"I'm Ashley Solis. A student over at Senki" she pointed to her uniform "though pretty sure that this kinda removed some of the mystery."

"How long have you been at this if you don't mind me asking? You're way better than most of the 'chefs' that worked in sushi restaurants back home."

bonniecanuck
Member Avatar
Bonnie Bushi
"I didn't give it, so that makes sense. Nice to meet you, Ashley. I'm Tarouta Shimizu, and I'm also a student at Senki Academy." He finished the next piece and plated it as he introduced himself. He could tell she was a student as well, but he was glad to wrap the loose ends up while he was ahead.

"This is actually the first time I've worked at a sushi place like this, but I've worked in my family's restaurant since I was little. Sushi is a totally different culinary form than any other food though - it's incredibly difficult to move up the ranks, and anybody hoping to get into it has to do a lot of the menial tasks like washing rice or preparing hot towels before they can get started. I skipped all that because of my parents' connections to the master here, and well, my hands."

As if to prove the point, he raised the fillet of katsuo he was working on and cut a perfect slice with a swift upwards motion of his knife. As it flew, he quickly swapped these tools for a brush with sesame oil and a blowtorch. Anticipating the flipping motions of the fish, he gently brushed one part of the slice with the oil as it reached its vertex, and then as it fell seared the oiled side with the torch. When it landed on his board, it was a perfectly seared slice of katsuo skipjack tuna that could just as well have been served as sashimi if it was more than once slice, which it wasn't.

Tarouta could tell that Ashley wasn't expecting the trick as he pressed the warm slice into the rice to form a new, delicious katsuo tataki nigiri. "Wow, I can't believe I got it just right like that," he commented as he dished out a little sliced green onion for the garnish and served it. One of the things about working in this field was that he got to try tricks out, something which the master was happy to let him try given his incredible handiness, which worked both for him since it let him amuse himself a bit on the job, for the customers since they too got some mild entertainment, and for the establishment as a whole as a selling point that attracted more customers interested in seeing what he could do.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Great Miyazaki Bridge · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Avalon a Panfandom RP
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.