Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
The call of the wild; Open
Topic Started: May 6 2017, 04:36 PM (425 Views)
Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne Suezette wondering intothe nature reserveandlooked around for a lovely spot to enjoy nature.
(She got lost and was looking for somewhere to rest)

After a while, she smiled and figured to give voice to a song, showing how much she appreciated the world around her. Maybe she would even draw some animals to her.

She stood up, cleared her voice, and sung.

The results were. . . . amazing. Let's just go with that. If anyone nearby had ever read an Asterix and Obelix comic, they would be most surely reminded of a certain bard.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Corruption, May 6 2017, 04:37 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Super Hurricane

"You've got a nice voice, miss. New in these parts?" A voice called down to her, as Shad lazily clung to the side of a redwood tree nearby to where Mary-Anne was. Of course, he was a bit annoyed that her singing woke him up and nearly knocked him off the thick branch he was laying on, but that wasn't important. What was important was not falling 20 feet to the ground and crashing to tree branches along the way. Why was he sleeping there? Because sleeping on a regular bed wasn't as comfy.

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne stopped singing at the voice and looked up. After all, where else would the voice be coming from.
Spotting him, she told him "Thank you. It's nothing much." She was interested: most people would insult her outof jealousy, or to cover up their intimidation at her voice.

"Er, yes, I am fairly new here, and still getting used to the island. Say, didn't I see you in the canteen when Akio escaped?"
Then a bit aside, which Shad may be able to hear "I still can't believe no-one would listen to me saying he did time-stop, not teleportation!"

Addressing Shad again, "I am Mary-Anne Suezette. Who are you?"

Super Hurricane

"Yep, though I do agree some sort of time magic was used. Felt similar to what the Machine King did to me a while back." Shad said calmly, slowly recovering his hold to climb back up the tree and onto a stronger branch. "Though technically this is a separate island from Kaneshima in general aka a nature preserve. As for me, I'm Shad Hornswell, a Size Mage in training, as I'm testing new ways to accelerate tree growth as some of the animals here have been knocking them down."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne frowned. "I guess I couldn't feel anything because I'm not a mage. I spotted it because when he vanished from ones pot and appeared in another, he was not standing as he was before. I guess that's why he had to smash his way out.
"How did his power work? You see it in shows all the time, but done in different ways. However, there are always limits, and restrictions. Things like how long someone can hold their breath, a set time from the user's perception, aging faster, or something."

For what Shad was doing. "A mage in training? I'm sure you'll have found a mentor here."
Frowning "But wouldn't a druid or plant mage be better for fixing the plants?"

Suddenly (after almost 3 minutes working in the back of her mind) she realized something "Er, it wouldn't be dangerous for me around here with such large animals roaming about?"

A bit latter the fact he was up a tree while telling her about them sunk in.
She tensed, and tried to calm herself to better focus on hearing anthing around her. It would fail due to her focusing too much on trying to calm herlsef.
Edited by Corruption, May 9 2017, 06:25 PM.

Super Hurricane

"Eh, we're in a herbivore habitat section of the reserve. The worst you can expect here are probably kangaroos at the most." Shad stated, almost back on the tree branch gripping the bark tightly. "And I'm not sure how the power worked, from what I can figure, that golden bodybuilder ghost seemed to be emitting it. I mean, ghosts have a lot of unusual abilities, so it's possible time manipulation might be one of them."

"As for a mentor, size mages are in short supply outside of Russian territory, so I'm kind of a self-study. Haven't seen any other size mages around the island as of late though. As for the plants, growing a tree from a stump is good practice now and then as long as I have the measurements."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Even Mary-Anne knew something was off. As she thought about it she slowly told him "But wouldn't that just make a large stump? I've also seen in shows that things that are enlargened get weaker, and doing it to something alive can hurt them."
Then she got to an important bit "How perminate are your changes? I mean, most magic fades after a while, doesn't it?"
Shuddering "I'd hate to be in a dress made out on enlargened materials when it shrinks!"

Something he said came to her "Er, you said you've been practising size magic here, large animals have been knocking trees down, and the worst animals here are likely kangaroos. At least tell me why kangaroos would be in Japan."
She tried to be charming as she said that last bit. It came out annoying wheedling and pleading.

Super Hurricane

"True, but it's the height of the stump that will be affected. The stump's width and length will be unchanged. Likewise, all enlarged items get strengthened from what I can tell, so long as they aren't 'sentient'. And as far as I know, the magic never fades, so I can made a small piece of platinum the size of a bus without much issue." Shad shrugged, finally back on the branch and standing over to watch over the forest area. "Heck, my robes are made of a single piece of cloth in which I grew and thickened to the point of leather, then clipped up and resewn back together. And this is a giant nature preserve, though a mile from here are herbivore dinosaurs, though you can see the border on the ground separating this area from theirs. But enough about that, what about you? What does your song come from down to the depths of your heart? Because I can feel the Machine listening to the melody."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne frowned. "I have no idea about any machine. I thought I was alone. Can you please come down: It is hard to talk to someone up in a tree like you are."

Something more accured to her "Maybe you are maintaing the magic on your clothes? The question would be if the magic works away from you. People might feel cheated if it doesn't."

Super Hurricane

"Very well." Shad suddenly landed right next to her, taking the position of crouching to absorb the impact in a proper matter, then stood up to face her calmly. "The Machine is what you call the Earth, as it is made of billions of moving parts both inorganic and organic. All these parts move in rhythm to each other, and when new rhythms are forged, the Machine flows in new directions to advance it's own 'evolution'."

"However, the magic I use is drawn from the Machine itself via leylines, like a plug into a outlet. It replenishes itself hourly and flows back into the Machine, unlike most Mages that are born with the mana itself of them and require time and energy to rebuild their magic after constant usage and burnout. In a way, your song can boost the flow of mana in others to strengthen and empower them, just as it does to the Machine." He noted, as it could be seen mana was being absorbed from his feet, and going back into the soil seconds later. "The power of a song is something that no mage can match though."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-anne did not get it all, but waved off his comment "I have never managed magic like that, but I seen it in shows. I think mages have to be trained in spells and uses knowledge and focus, but song magic comes from the heart of the singer. It works in harmoney with the world around it, helping to slightly alter the rhythms of the world around the singer, while mages try to force their will on it. I would love to be able to inspire with song, charm with it, and help people.
"I wasn't trying anything, but when the time is right, I will. Such can't be rushed with study."

Thinking a bit, she added a few seconds latter "I might need to find my affinity."

. . . . Wait did she just describe part of the difference between Bardcraft and Mages?
Just WTF is in Disney shows these days?

She looked at Shad in interest. "Able to call on the power in the Earth? That's powerful, but what is the cost? Does it mean you can't regain magic away those those 'ley lines'?"
She had no idea what ley lines were, but did not want to admit that.

Super Hurricane

Shad shook his head, awhile keeping his eye on their surroundings should any dangerous threat occur. "Unfortunately, non-bard mages lost the magic of song a long time ago. Even I can't sing due to the fact I can't rhyme properly, or carry any form of tune without sounding screechy. Mostly because I don't have a heart like you do. But it is good to have a goal like that to inspire goodwill in others and help the community over all."

"The cost is that the Earth will want the energy back if you can't return it. A while back, me and my Teacher came across a warehouse filled with people similar to me, but able to draw upon the leylines to release destructive magic known as the Dragon Force. But the one who controlled them ordered us killed, and those kids released so much power that one by one, their connection overflowed from absorbing too much and not giving back to the leylines, resulting in spontaneous combustion." He wiped his brow, a tad sweaty just recalling how the kids screamed and wailed from their burning flesh. "I recently came across a person who may very well meet the same fate as he is reckless with the leylines. But those who are born with a normal amount of mana are safe from such a fate. But yes, if I am away from the ground or something separates me from the leylines, I will most likely lose consciousness for a while, as I can't retain leyline energy."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne nodded in an exageration of being sagely. "Tsk, borrowed power always comes with a cost. Sounds like they took too much into themselves, and they couldn't contain it, or couldn't take the strain from funneling the power."
Shaking her head slowly and sadly "They should have learned from shows and stories to never seek power too fast. Always turns out bad. Same with not making sure the prices are fully paid."
Getting back on track "Song magic is not something that can be studied like spells. I guess it is less impressive, but takes less power. I think you need to be born with the gift."
For the matter of his heart, "You seem like a nice fellow, so I think you might have the heart for it. Maybe just not the Gift."

Looking up, she noticed some clouds were coming across the sky, and some seemed darker then others. "I think it's going to rain latter, but not too soon. Would you like to show me about this area, so I see differnt kinds of animals?"

Super Hurricane

"Indeed, though those born with the gift of song magic often are seized by the Graft Inquisitors in 3rd World countries. We should be protected in this place though." Shad grinned, then looked up at the sky as she pointed out the clouds, "Looks like a wild Peng flock given the small catfish heads in the middle, they're kinda like birds that have the body of a cloud. Taste pretty good with tartar sauce as well. And when they rain, it could mean one of two things so we may have to take shelter soon. But sure, I'll gladly show you around the island."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Annelooked at the clouds again, and the clouds looked normal to her.
She came to the only logical conclusion possible, Shad was crazy, or at least imagining things.

Thinking more about what he had told her, she thought to herself "If this is a nature reserve, then why does it have different sections, instead o fletting all animals roam free?" The answer; "It doesn't have different sections. He's crazy to think it does."

Thus reassured that she was the only sane one there, she figured to listen to him, and maybe help sort out his mental problems as they went around the reserve.

"Lead the way. I have never heard of something called a Graft Inquisitor before. What can you tell me about them?"

Super Hurricane

"Sure thing." Shad smiled, not the least bit aware Mary-Anne thought he was crazy, as he began to walk forward through the forest at a careful rate, stepping over a few pineapple-like plants embedded in the ground. "Careful about those ones, they're Mandragora. Step on their heads and they'll incite paralysis with their screams."

"As for the Graft Inquisitors, they're mostly the descendants of the Inquisition back in the day. Naturally, they have a huge amount of hatred for all magic-users, fake or real, so they turned to the most practical weapon that can kill a mage: surgical enhancement. Melding guns, explosions, animal parts, poisons, toxic gas, tasers and flamethrowers inside their bodies and limbs are just some of the things these guys have, as well as being highly skilled in curing multiple diseases and extending their life cycles. To say the least, they are stunning beautiful, tall, and capable of taking a Dragon Slave to the chest and not flinch."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne frowned. "To fill themselves with such hate that they would twist their own bodies. Sad, really."
Suddenly she thought of something "Taken, you said, not killed. Maybe they are trying to train them to use their power through hymns?"

Thinking about things as she walked, shambling here and there as she did so, she asked herself "Why would they make themselves that pretty if they want to blend in, hidding their weapons? They could have people here as students, and how would we tell?"

. . . .Mary-Anne was trying to find a villian for her story.
In a way it was a pity that she did not consider Shad to be sane.

Super Hurricane

Shad shook his head, even as they came to cross over a border line of crabgrass dividing part of the island. "It's more fear than hate right now, with each mage born, there's the possibility of one that could simply destroy the world with a single word. That's why they check on bards given some can cause mobs to riot or animals to fight for them, depending on the level of training they've done without teachers to restrict them. It's more than likely the bards are cast into forced slavery once the Grafts learn all they can form them."

"As for blending in, from what I know, they can artificially tamper with their bodies to look different than what they already are. Fingerprints, eyes, voice print, even their teeth can be swapped out within minutes, that's why they're the perfect assassin for mages, but they can't replicate a perfect Visa or Passport with today's technology, which prevents them from visiting the US or heavily guarded places like Kaneshima. As for how to tell, even if they can change the way their faces are, they can't disguise their killing intent expressions when they encounter a mage. And then they'll start to mutate and grow into their 'true' selves, designed to hunt and slay, awhile knocking out any non-combatants with non-lethal drug darts and gas."

Corruption
Member Avatar

Mary-Anne was surprised: "Destroy the world with a word? I can understand their fear, but can't imagine just a word doing it."
She thought for a moment then added, "Besides, we don't need magic for that! Science lets us do it already."

When she heard about the fear of bards, she nodded slowly as she thought about it. "But can't empaths and other people with mad science mind controll also controll people? Broadcast over TV, they can control more then any bard could reach at once!"

Thinking some more out loud, "So they fear magic, but science can do just the same, or worse."
Once she figured that out "They really should have paid more attention to science. I mean, if instead of making it deadlier to get their weapons, they should have been making sure other groups are unable to use such deadly things. The world would be a much safer place if they had done that."

Then she thought of something else "Besides, without teachers, they are more likely to make mistakes and hurt people. Every gifted student needs a mentor figure."

She did not like the subject; mainly because it involved thinking, which was hard for her, and not worth the effort to play along with his delusions.
Just before she spoke again, the wind changed, making him a bit downwind ofher, and he would smell a horrid stentch; her BO, unwashed clothing and similiar things. It was a kind of stentch even cleaning is hard pressed to remove just for a little while. It would be pretty disgusting.

Changing the subject, "What do you think of the School and Kaneshima island?"
As she was saying this, she was sure she spotted some small monkey like animals going higher into the trees while trying to cover their ears and noses. Heh, what strange animals they have here.

Super Hurricane

"I suppose so, but the word by itself expresses the strongest chaos magic there is: love. Which is something that mad science and telepaths can't replicate, though I have yet to come across anyone like that with such powers." Shad said thoughtfully, noticing the small monkeys nearby and flinching slightly. "Be cautious not to feed the Sanzaru, they steal sight, hearing and even your voice if you're not one of them, as they dislike humans."

"In any case, love can't be replicated with science as it's a magical thing mixed with melody. And the stronger the love, the greater the danger it poses to the world. But as I said, the Inquisition is a force of science that studies magic in order to find ways to destroy it completely." Shad said, unaffected by the smell as he continued forward, "As for the school, eh. Since the attack from Akio, there haven't been a lot of classes, which makes it hard for me to advance to the 3rd Year. But the food is good and most of the teachers are pleasant to work with save that Dark Mage guy. And the island seems to have it's share of surprises with all the yokai and sea monsters, as well as decent festivals. I think I'll stay around for a few more years til I graduate, I think."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Kanekojima Nature Reserve · Next Topic »
Add Reply

- Affiliates -
- Hosting and Directory Affiliates -
FreeDomain.co.nr
RPG-D
Shadowplay Topsites
RPG Initiative
RPG Initiative Topsites
- Forum Board Affiliates -
Senki Academy
Shinigami Generation
Theme/Skin created by Menindrag. Find more great designs at the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.

All images and creative content on Senki Academy are properties of their respective creators. If you're a creator and object to seeing your content displayed on this site, please contact the admin. We respect your wishes as a creator and will honour all requests for content removal.